Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need you help. As some of you may know. My wife's car is dumped.
I borrowed it this past weekend and draged it alittle too much over a speed hump. I drove off and notice an annoying metal draging on concrete noise. I stopping and looked under the car. And saw a huge metal bracket barely hanging on. I jacked up the car and wiggled the other piece off. It should normally look flat with two bolts that hold it up along the center of the car. When I took it off it was twisted like a pretzle and grinded down. Not a pretty sight.

I was looking for a picture of the underneath of the car. So I can determine if I should replace it. The car still runs find, but I want to make sure.

It's about 16x2" long, has one bolt on each end and sits in the middle of the car.

Thanks for your help,
Bernie

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Here's a shot I just took for you - hard to get underneath!

This is a 2002 V6 4-Motion - I couldn't see the piece you're talking about.

Let me know how it goes!

You realize of course you could go to the parts dept at your VW dealer and they can bring this up on their computer and tell you what it is which would be better than possibly trying to figure it out on your own - then you'll know the cost too :)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I know what your taking about, its kinda like a subframe brace but its further back like towards the middle of the car.

Mine gets caught all the time on the sliding garage door track at my apartment. Just take it off, pound it straight and its as good as new. :lol:

I dont even know what its for.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
leadfoot said:
Here's a shot I just took for you - hard to get underneath!

This is a 2002 V6 4-Motion - I couldn't see the piece you're talking about.

Let me know how it goes!

You realize of course you could go to the parts dept at your VW dealer and they can bring this up on their computer and tell you what it is which would be better than possibly trying to figure it out on your own - then you'll know the cost too :)
Thanks for the picture. But since your is a 4-motion, the underneath is slightly different. I have only a single exhaust. But your right, I can go the dealer and ask them. But I thought I could ask you because I wouldn't have to explain myself the to dealer for half an hour about a line drawing.

That's all. I thank everyone for your help.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
is it aluminum looking metal bar?.... located about mid point length?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts