Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thing of getting the BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox for my W8 and I need to the size of the MAF intake where the original air boot connects...

PS. what do you guys think about BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox? good or bad?

I need your help :bow:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Remove the engine cover and take a good look at the multiple intake sources on the W8. The CDA based intake system from BMC Group is too large to fit in that small space. Even their smallest unit is too large for the W8 and wouldn't allow enough air to pass through. However BMC Group does manufacture a nice panel replacement filter which is designed a little better than the industry standard K&N unit. For the 2.8L V6 guys, the Type 2 CDA works very well and is much easier to clean than the K&N based intakes I've seen on the market.

For more information, check them out at:

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Take a pic of your engine compartment with plastic cover off from air box and measure all possible emty space after removing air box. if you can post that pic here so we can see. I do not have W8 like The Swami and don't have idea how much is cramped.
On my V6 there is quite space after removing OE box and installing CDA. It was tight fit, because I didn't want to customize ribbed snorkel after MAF, that snorkel is tough guy-not to flexible.
Otherwise, maybe there is chance.

The Swami, maybe you have pic of engine boot to show or some url?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try to remove them...(I am not sure how to remove them...but)

Nenad, so are you happy with CDA? any performance gain?

Thank you

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
My first filter was drop-in JR :puke: :puke: :puke:
My second filter was drop-in K&N :)
Than I bought CDA and I must admit I tought "o.k, you spent money only for show" but I was wrong.This thing is sooo good and real that it worth each penny. Find post"..show me your intake.." or something like that. and you will find my comment and quoting of Geri (moderator on German Forum Passat3B.de). He measured temps and air mass and we have proof that CDA in real world is working like crazy. This thing will not give you some fancy sound but it will suck all possible air. As matter of fact when I instaled it my car started to run lean (more air than fuel) wihle cold driven (once warmed up al things ok) so I put adjustable FPR and rise fuel pressure and solve "problem 8) ". Geri had K&N cone filter and CDA is better few times. K&N was measuring 15-20 C degrees higher temp(compared with outside air) in snorkel after MAF and CDA only 1-2 C degrees.

Speaking about HP gain it is tricky if you do not have any other mod related to it (exhaust,etc.) I would say 2-4hp on high revs (after 4500). If it become later part of aftermarket exhaust,fpr, chip I think that will be perfect match for rest. I would say that his big plus is freeing up torque, more than HP. In daily city driving it is more important

important thing is that really you do not have to clean it each "3 sec". I just did it last week after 8 months and 8-9000 miles. Very good,dirty from outside and inside part of it clean.I did it not because of clogged filter, just like prevention.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Nenad
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing