Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it, i really want to tighten up the front suspension, tie the two sides together, and get a solid feel, unlike now how it is when you hit a bump on one side of the car, it does not feel that great. I would like a chas bar, but my car is lowered, I have bad luck with running over things, etc. If thats the only thing that will give me what I need, thats what I will do though. I just dont want to buy a a6 bar, put it on, then have no difference. I am also interested in the o bar in the rear.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I've heard often that the firewall in our cars act like a strut tower bar. Maybe i am wrong, but it is really only going to slightly improve handling, and look good for when you pop the hood. I personally think that once you have the rear sway bar, shocks, and springs, there isn't much more to do for lateral handling, unless you are bringing your car to the track.

·
Registered
331 Posts
What tranny do you have? I have a B5 with a 5sp and the C-Bar and I'm lowered 1.5". I have no problems. It's no lower on the 5sp than any other part of the car. The granny tranny is a different story and it does go lower than on the 5sp.
As far as performance...I noticed an immediate increase in front end stiffness, on the plus side! No more creaking and flexing. Front end stays flat now.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Yes, strut bars help our cars. Click my "website" button and scroll down under "Suspension/Tires" to find links.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
for normal driving no... would probably keep it too stiff for comfort...

but for autox and road course its recommended.

I've used the A6 upper strut bar and found that road racing will still flex the body... so I need to upgrade soon to a full 4 point 1" tube strut bar to lock down the two towers.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
JROO-VW said:
...I've used the A6 upper strut bar and found that road racing will still flex the body... so I need to upgrade soon to a full 4 point 1" tube strut bar to lock down the two towers.
Justin - do you have a lower tie-bar. a.k.a. Chas Bar? If you don't have one, you need one.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I'm way ahead of you my friend...

A6 upper strut
1BE front/rear sway bars
Chas bar (c-bar)...although being in NYC this has done more work to save from nailing the transmission than doing much good elsewhere :shock:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
:crazy:

If you're really dumping that much money into strut tower bars, maybe you should look for some stiffer springs and kill some of that weight transfer... :poke:

Or wait! I have a better idea! Lose some of that weight to begin with! Excuse me, 2 tons coming through. :lol:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
um... lets see when I get on the track with you... :D

(suprise 2 tons... = lots of fun)

and... I have the KW v2 coilovers... and working on something a little better... so look out.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Rusty you can always come later... and maybe do limerock or even summit point, which might be closer to you.

I'm looking to do summit point this july with audiclub (quattroclub).

·
Registered
835 Posts
I found the A6 Upper Strut Bar made a small but noticeable increase in stiffness and the Chas bar/C-Bar Lower tie Bar made a significant increase in stiffness and consequently difference/improvement in handling.

Also I found marginal impact on daily driving comfort.

The above coupled with a Rear Sway Bar complete the handling of our B5s ... of course nothing beats a spring/shock suspension upgrade.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
ronniebaldino said:
Who makes the chas bar?? I have a 00 5sp 1.8T wagon I assume they make one for me??? Link?
That would be me. :lol:

And as D.Passat00 so nicely posted, that thread is my way of making these available to the masses here at CB5. The bars really make a huge difference in the way the car feels. The upper bars make less of an impact because the upper end of the chassis design is pretty stiff to begin with. The B5 chassis cars have two fire walls and that is the best thing going for them there. An upper bar makes some difference for sure.

But it is the lower end that really needs the support and my bars do that. They tie the left side of the sub frame to the right side. Thus closing the "lid" of the box that is the sub frame, vertical suspension links and double fire walls. Once the bar is on it forces the tires to acctually do what they are suppose to do: bite in and turn. It's really a simple idea, but through all my work at developing them I have come to the best two designs so far. The bars are made from 6061 T-6 aluminum and use 7/16" grade 8 bolts, washers and nuts to holt it all together. The aluminum "tube" part of the bar is a hollow retangular design that adds strength and rigidity, but without the huge cost of wieght. The 5 spd bar wieghs in at less than 2 pounds! And the Tiptronic bars is less than 3 pounds.

If you really are interested in making your car handle better, then send me a PM and we can talk.

Thanks for the interest!! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts