Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to accelerate slow and try to keep the tach below 2500(below 2250 most of the time) to save gas. I try to only take the RPM above 2250 on the highway or when I'm late.
Anyway, does a gas saving driving style cause carbon buildup, because that's what my lady friend always says.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
It used to. Today's engines are computer controlled, and our cars use premium gasoline, so the effect is minimized. Just give it a good blast every now and again to 'clean it out'.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It used to be more of a problem in older, carburated cars- especially those with poorly desinged combustion chambers . I wouldn't worry about it in a modern fuel injected car.

·
Registered
253 Posts
sounds like whoever gets your car after you're done with it is going to have to break it in!

Babying it shouldn't be too much of a problem, and in fact, if you ever have to have clogged injectors replaced, you will have saved so much on gas, tires and brakes (and the time value of money) that you'll still end up way ahead.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
As long as your engine gets nice and toasty on a semi-regular basis, driving conservatively will not cause a huge amount of carbon build-up in the combustion chamber. Normal opreating temps should be more than enough to bake off anything particularly nasty.

SirWired

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Any and every type of driving style causes some carbon build-up on the intake valves and in comb. chamber. Combustion chamber deposits are more related to the brand of fuel used and the presence (and type) of detergent additives used in the fuel.

Switching fuel brands (different brand=different detergent pkg) every 4-5K miles will help reduce but not eliminate deposits. Petroleum refineries can't remove all the heavy (high boiling point, tar-like and difficult to completely combust) components from a gallon of gasoline and still be able to sell it at a reasonable price.

I've never seen a combustion chamber without some carbon deposits.

A 20oz. bottle of Techron in ~1/2 a tank of fuel just prior to an oil change has always worked for me.

:beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts