Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

In August, I had the car at the local VW dealer for the 40k maintenance (at about 39,500 miles) at which point the stated that the brakes were about 40%. The car has 42,500 miles now

Yesterday, my wife went to have the emissions test and the safety inspection done and the inspector said that the brakes were "threadbare". He still gave her the sticker but the fact is that this is not good news.

The questions I have are:
  • Who is doing the measuring here? How did we get from 40% to threadbare in less than three months and 3k miles?
  • Does the Passat have brake wear indicators, if yes, front only or all around?
  • When did other people change brakes and did you change all around or one axle only?
  • How much does this cost at the dealer v. respectable independent shop
I am not looking to upgrade the brakes; just replace with original VW or OEM partes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Sould either have indicators that will cause a light on the dash, or there is a metal clip the will wear against the rotor and make a high pitch squeak. Remove the tire and see how much pad is there.

Change by axle usually

If you do it yourself, you can get aftermarket parts that perform better for less

·
The "Odd" one
6,066 Posts
i have found with VA safety inspectors its all a matter of opinion. But 9 times out of 10 they are all in the same ball park. You just happen to get one that was still willing to pass you. To me...that means you may have about 10K or so left. I have a 2003 also and I just changed mine at 50K becasue they started squeeking like a banshee. Went with the Brembo Smooth Faced rotors and PBR Deluxe pads. Actually was close to the same price as all of the OEM stuff (Group Buy section on the forum). Break Dust is almost non-existant now.
Bottom line, by "threadbare" he probably ment passable via Virginia Safety Inspection Regulations. Dealership was notifying you hopeing to drum up a little more business.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The rears on my 2003 V6 4Motion needed to be done at 40k.
The dealer told me that was about average - some people less(younger, "stoplight to stoplight racers" get 25k), some more (more conservatine drivers/ manual transmission cars might get 60k).
Standard rotors and PBR Deluxe are known to be good - I had 4Motion, so I needed different rotors than FWD. I went w/ Brembo cross-drilled and EBC GreenStuff - I aslo did the fronts, though they weren't ready yet.
OEM, EBC, and others have the sensor leads - but only on the fronts.
WHen I do the brakes on the W8 I will go standard rotors and either PBR or EBC.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
The rears on my 2003 V6 4Motion needed to be done at 40k.
The dealer told me that was about average - some people less(younger, "stoplight to stoplight racers" get 25k), some more (more conservatine drivers/ manual transmission cars might get 60k).
Standard rotors and PBR Deluxe are known to be good - I had 4Motion, so I needed different rotors than FWD. I went w/ Brembo cross-drilled and EBC GreenStuff - I aslo did the fronts, though they weren't ready yet.
OEM, EBC, and others have the sensor leads - but only on the fronts.
WHen I do the brakes on the W8 I will go standard rotors and either PBR or EBC.

94k on stock rears. Fronts were new when I bought the car.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
1. Person who is measuring can be measuring any or all of the eight pads. Pads can wear unevenly, and many mechanics "eye ball" the percentage of pad left. So lots of variation.

2. Brake wear indicators are for front only.

3. One axle at a time. Did my rears this Spring at ~42K miles due to warped rotors. Pads could have gone another 12-15K miles in my estimation.

4. Dealer costs vary, but generally run much higher than independent shops. I've seen users post quotes of over $1,200 for all four corners at the dealer. You can get the parts for under $300 and labor should be 1 - 1 1/2 hours per axle.

I second the PBR Deluxe pads and Brembo plain faced rotors. I used ATE rotors for the rear of my 2003 Passat. I think the VW rotors and pads cost more and are no better quality, most likley worse.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you!

Thanks so much for the quick replies! So, it may not be as bad as feared but I need to keep an eye on it.

This is a daily driver that does not see autocross or other hard driving... Under those circumstances, would the Brembo plain-faced rotors and PBR pads still fit the application profile? I.e., I don't need a set-up that is great in hot track pursuit but needs forever to warm up and does not provide adequate performance in daily driving conditions.

I could not find the group buy and assume it is closed. What is a good source to order Brembo plain-faced rotors and PBR pads and what did you guys pay?

Thanks again.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
if you're not looking for performance, just get plain faced rotors and axxis deluxe plus from importrp. look in the marketplace forum for more info.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The rear brakes on my 2003 wore down to nothing and I didn't know it until the moment they went metal-to-metal. There were absolutely no audible indications of wear. Brake feel was the only way I knew and they wore so evenly I still wasn't sure. $400 at a VW dealer for rears only - I know, I got ripped off.

·
The "Odd" one
6,066 Posts
Averaged out to 40 bucks per rotor...Pads were 80 bucks total...I think it was 260 or so and that included shipping. Call them and dont forget to mentiion passatworld for the extra discount. Received them in about 2-3 days
You will be very happy with the Brembo/PBR setup. Specially if you hate brake dust like most people here do.

www.importrp.com

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
FYI - 4Motion (aka Quattro) uses up brakes faster.
Wheel spin, detected by 4 wheel/ 4 channel ABS, causes brake to be applied on that wheel, locking the front or rear differential, and redistributing torque through the TorSen center differential to the other wheels.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thanks so much for the quick replies! So, it may not be as bad as feared but I need to keep an eye on it.

This is a daily driver that does not see autocross or other hard driving... Under those circumstances, would the Brembo plain-faced rotors and PBR pads still fit the application profile? I.e., I don't need a set-up that is great in hot track pursuit but needs forever to warm up and does not provide adequate performance in daily driving conditions.

I could not find the group buy and assume it is closed. What is a good source to order Brembo plain-faced rotors and PBR pads and what did you guys pay?

Thanks again.
The PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus are their daily driver pads. The company also makes Metal Masters and Ultimates (Ceramic), which are geared more for non-daily drivers. Plain faced rotors are the least expensive option, too. You could spend more on the slotted rotors, which would be coated (no rust), but the price goes up a lot.

And it is the Marketplace forum, not the Groupbuy forum. The seller, as mentioned above, is www.importrp.com.

I bought parts from www.getcoolparts.com. They have free shipping if you purchase over $50. Delivery was quick and they have a good reputation. Price compare the two to see which one is best, as importrp charges shipping, but when I last checked, their prices were lower.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$1,000 for rotors and pads all around!

Hi again,

I just called my local dealer and a reputable independent shop (but with high prices..) Of course this is parts and labor. Parts at ImportRP would be about $285 incl. shipping (less any potential discount they give PW members...)

VW Dealer: $525 front/ $480 rear = $1,005
Independent: $550 front/ $450 rear = $1,000 ($240 front pads only/ $185 rear pads only)

Is it feasible to just change the pads and leave the rotors or are the pretty worn out and too thin for another set of pads? (I guess I would really have to measure the rotors for that but wanted to see what your experiences were...)

Thanks

/away making some more calls to find better prices.../

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New Pads on existing rotors?

Hi guys,

Can I just install new PBR/ Axxis De Luxe pads on the existing rotors or is this not recommended? This is assuming that the rotors are thick enough to warrant installation of a new set of pads.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just had the car into the dealer for a oil pump replacement and they told me the rear pads were about 90 gone at 41K. I thought that wasn't much but after reading what is posted here, it seems like the norm. It goes in next week for replacement. The stock Conti tires are about gone too. Seems like 40 K is the magic number.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hi guys,

Can I just install new PBR/ Axxis De Luxe pads on the existing rotors or is this not recommended? This is assuming that the rotors are thick enough to warrant installation of a new set of pads.

Thanks!
I'd recommend purchasing new rotors. They are not that expensive and it eliminates the possibility of any problems. The rotors are on the thin side, so turning them may not be feasible. Further, the cost of turning them is similar to the cost of new rotors.

I paid $70 for new ATE rotors and PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus pads last year.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How is the Service Life of the Brembo Rotors w/ the PBR/ Axxis Pads?

Hi,

Last question, I hope:

How are the Brembo rotors w/ the PBR/ Axxis Deluxe pads holding up? Can I expect the same mileage from them as from the OEM or will they wear much faster/ faster/ same/ slower/ much slower?

Thanks and best regards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts