Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an interesting thought, don't mean to pry. I was wondering how many heavily modified vs. stock cars have loans or are owned. Also if you bought new or used.

My own my 98 B5 V and bought it used

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
i have a 2000 co. red b5, got it last june w/ 27k now w/ 47k, still stock but i have 18's, carather rear, je design front, and a kamei grill in the basement waiting to be put on. Im still paying off the loan and spent the $$ i was gonna use to get a new suspension setup on routine maintance. I guess its gonna have to wait till next year...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have a used 99 I saved up so that I could by the car and customize it imediately. If you factor that into the budget you can purchase some of the big ticket mods for your car such as wheel and suspension so you can purchase them as soon as you get the car. Then you can always save money later to pay for the suspension installation if you can't do it yourself. My car is so special to because I did most of the work to it, whatever was in my capacity to handle I did it to save money so only paint and bodywork I have to consult with the professionals on.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
98 83K - Used - Paid Cash. Car is stock and only 9 days in my possession.

I did have a heavily modified 99 B5. That was a lease. I was a stupid kid back then and did crazy things. I bet the person that ended up with that car needed our help.

I for sure screwed that thing up - Alarm, Remote start, remote windows, sunroof, and gas cap pop. All off of 1 4 button remote. Plus when you activated the alarm. It activated the stock alarm. So, it was double alarmed. Then the Audio mods and interior.

Crazy. I am Very lucky I found a clean 98. No water damage at all. I couldn't believe it. Knock on Wood. :roll:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I bought mine new back in June of '99.

And as of a few months back, I own her lock, stock and and the mods to boot! :lol: I did a bunch of mods to it while the bank still had the note on it, knowing that it would soon be mine.

Back then I got a 7.22% rate on the $14K or so I took a loan out for. In the end, I'm still happy with my car! :D :D :weirdo: :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
used and its almost paid for.

·
Registered
310 Posts
2000 B5 - Paid cash - Starting with the mods: K&N filter, just paid for a GIAC chip, got a Forge 007 at waterfest for $100 and looking at getting some 17" wheels.

·
Registered
882 Posts
'02 1.8 - 2 year loan. Started to mod when I hit about 3000 miles. Chipped after the first oil change.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
03 W8 Variant - bought new, $20K down, financed balance. Currently owe $10K.

Few mods - rims, rear spoiler, satellite radio w/custom antenna mount, built-in detector, tint, and little baubles here and there. Started mods before I bought the car! (window tint, custom detector install & rims installed before I got there)

Previous 00 GLX sedan was also purchased for $15K down and financed 2 years. In 3rd year, traded it towards W8 using trade-in amount as down plus $3,000 cash.

Mods included airbox change, rims, calipers, foglights w/custom-cut front lower grill, built-in detector, Zender rear spoiler, custom exhaust with lower bumper cutout, tint, mirrors, and other little baubles. Started modding about 6 months after I bought that one.

I don't mind financing as long as the terms are short and the rates are low...even if I have the cash to buy. Rather have the money sitting in an interest-bearing account earning 8-10% while I pay off a 3.9% loan!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.