Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was hanging out with two friends of mine the other night and we decided to go out for dinner. "I'll drive," said my one friend, Bret, (we were at his house) as he grabbed his keys and headed for the door. His car (a CL500) is nice and big, but it's still a PITA to crawl into the rear seats. Since Bret would be driving his own car, it was up to Aaron and me to decide who would have to squeeze in the back.

Since Aaron is 6'1" and I am just mere (self-conscience) 5'8", I figured I would be the gentleman and offer him the front seat. Usually when I do this, I get offered the front seat on the return trip. Or at least Aaron would thank me for giving the seat to him like the mature person that I thought he was. That's the way it works. But before I had a chance to offer him the front, he shouts SHOTGUN!

OK, we're all 21 or 22, and he shouts "shotgun" like a goddamn kid. Suddenly offering to sit in the back seat isn't an act of maturity and graciousness directed towards my much-taller friend, but rather a punishment because I wasn't quick enough to "call it." This is some juvenile crap. If someone has to sit in the back, settle like ADULTS. I can't stand this "shotgun" bullshit. I've never called it once in my life -- not even when I was in middle school.

I really worry about my generation moving into positions of power as they grow older. Will Aaron be calling "shotgun" when he is 30 year old lawyer? If I end up working for a Fortune500 company will I have to sit through a presentation where a girl says "like" 700 times because she's so damn inarticulate despite her $100,000 liberal-arts education? The future sometimes scares me.

If you call shotgun and you are old enough to vote, I genuinely hate you.

[/rant]

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
i always thought that was something you do in high school, and none of my friends ever do that around me. if we take my car they tend to rotate. if we take someone elses car, i will usually give up the front seat to a female. no "calling it" here.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm all with you james. In high school, me and myt buddies never yelled out shotgun. We all made an agreement that who ever yelled out the word of choice, they will get a beating. Needless to say, we got in a few fights.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I'm the same age as you. unless its a girl (who always should get the front), the front seat is up for grabs to the first one who takes it. frankly, however, I don't give a shit about how hard it is for you to squeeze into the backseat of your friend's CL500. boo hoo.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pafc said:
I don't give a shit about how hard it is for you to squeeze into the backseat of your friend's CL500. boo hoo.
The heated messaging seats were nice...

But it's not about the accomodations -- it's the principle of the matter. Legroom is legroom, and I was prepared to be mature about it and give it to my taller friend.

And it was the not the first time that some asshat "friend of a friend" shouted it before we had a chance to reach an agreement like grown-ups. This has happened a number of times before and equally annoyed me each time (be it a Porsche, Audi or Hyundai).

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
bleh yes its gay. usually with my friend we just switch off. One sits in the front the way their the other on the way back. No calling or bull crap :)

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I dunno, I used to get pissed off more when some asshat, little runt used to steal the front seat in a coupe and here I am 6 foot 4 left to squeeze in the back seat and jam my size 13's half way under the front seats. Oh and then to top that off the little midgets wouldn't bother moving the seat up. I think that's worthy of getting pissed off more than calling "shotgun" but that's me. Maybe that's why I just usually drive.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I am old enough to vote and with my two gfs i still call shotgun for SEVERAL valid reasons:

a) one of them has a minivan and i dont want to sit in the back seat with the juicebox monster
b) another one of them always has a mini me around her (who is also narrow minded - LOUD AS f*** and partially insane) - and if she sits in the back the music drowns her out better so i have more fun
c) both of them dont have cars with cupholders in the back - i rest my case

with my bf i dont care - i have sat in front and back the two times anyone else is in the car. usually front i think bc i was born with immunity to his driving.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Sullie said:
I dunno, I used to get pissed off more when some asshat, little runt used to steal the front seat in a coupe and here I am 6 foot 4 left to squeeze in the back seat and jam my size 13's half way under the front seats. Oh and then to top that off the little midgets wouldn't bother moving the seat up. I think that's worthy of getting pissed off more than calling "shotgun" but that's me. Maybe that's why I just usually drive.
my brother is 6 ft and i love it when hes breaking his kneecaps in the bk seat of my dads 3. thats what he deserves for making me sit so close to NPR and random theories of my father's minds.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
The One Eyed Spy said:
my brother is 6 ft and i love it when hes breaking his kneecaps in the bk seat of my dads 3. thats what he deserves for making me sit so close to NPR and random theories of my father's minds.
:lol:

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
LMAO.....me and my friends still do that once in a while just for a good laugh! we used to say SHOTGUN all the time when we were younger. some of us even got in arguments of who said it first:lol:.

ah man it's hilarious to think about it now:lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'm about to be 22, I don't know if we still call shotgun or not. I know a few years ago we called shotgun all the time. One of my buddies printed off the rules of shotgun he found on the internet (it was really me, but I said it was my friend so I wouldn't sound so lame). I could give two shits where I sit... and I don't care if someone calls shotgun or not. I've never thought about it really. I'm going to pay attention from now on, and when someone says it I'll slap the shit outta them... and say "That's from James, bitch!"

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I personally don't think its that big of a deal. I wouldn't do it, and wouldn't encourage it, but if one of my friends did it good for them. I guess where I sit (unless its next to a hot girl ;) ) dosen't bother me.....

on the other hand, I am still trying to figure out how a 22 year old has a CL500....:Yikes:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Depends, if I'm out with my friends, who I have known since high school (now 26) then yes we do yell shotgun, except for 2 reasons

1) The gf is new/bitch and we know she's going to get the front seat
2) The owner of the car is not the DD, therefore automatic shotgun

If there are 5 people (7 with minivan) people call "not bitch" so they don't have to sit in the center seat.

It depends on the audience whether it seems childish and stupid or fun. When I'm with my friends then we all know this happens and we're usually going out to a bar, or we would have all driven anyway.

Going to work, car pooling or anything else, no. People aren't expecting it, and it doesn't lend itself to a professional appearance. (Cut to commercial for rice-rocket driving 40 year olds in business suits with briefcase, calling shotgun and racing to the car)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I think the real issue here is the rules of the game. I'm old enough to vote, but all of my friends still play (not me I drive). Can you call it inside once you've decided to leave, or do you have to be outside on the way to the car?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
this one jackass we work with still calls shotgun, he's 21 and everyone hates him. I usually don't drive because my car is farther than anyone else would like to walk, but I am a good deal taller and bigger than any of the other people in the car at 6' and 260 lbs. My friend's car that we usually take is a Saturn and I am kinda scrunched up even in the front seat.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I dunno, if it's for a short trip to get some food or something, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Yeah, it's a bit immature, but it's all good natured fun.

The only time it would be bad is if a shorter person eagerly calls it out before a long trip.

Otherwise, I say just let it go, if someone gets their jollies by calling shotgun, so be it. Let them be happy, so what if you're cramped for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I still call shotgun - sometimes just to annoy my co-workers... Sometimes not :lol: Even have the 10 page Shotgun Rules document in my palm for reference just in case of a dispute.

Here's part of it:

Section I - General Rules

1) The first person to yell "SHOTGUN" gets to ride in the front seat.

2) The remaining back seats may be divvied up in the same manner by being the first to call "back right seat", etc..

3) The word "shotgun" must be loud enough to be heard by at least one witness. If no witness is to be found, or in case of a tie, the driver has the final word. After all, it is most likely his car. (note: if it isn't his car, and the owner is present, the owner's decision is final. Owner must be sober, however, or he will defer his judgment to the driver.)

4) Early calls are strictly prohibited. All occupants of the vehicle (including the driver) must be outside of the building and directly on the way to the vehicle before shotgun may be called. Under no circumstances may a person call shotgun inside a building. For sake of simplicity, a garage is considered to be outside. Parking structures and detached garages are always considered as being outdoors, even if they are underground.

5) A person may only call shotgun for one way of a trip. Shotgun can never be called while inside a vehicle or still technically on the way to the first location. For example, one can not get out of a vehicle and call Shotgun for the return journey.

6) Being as how everyone is created equal, men have the same right as women to the front seat of the car. i.e. women don't own the front seat.

7) One is allowed to ride shotgun as many times as he can call it, but for himself only. No one can call shotgun for their slower friend, unless the friend has a speech or mental handicap that prevents them from calling it for themselves.

8) The driver has final say in all ties and disputes. The driver has the right to suspend or remove all shotgun privileges from one or more persons.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts