Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one replaced the OEM HU with a new Kenwood double-dim HU in a B5.5 Passat? Mine is a 1.8T '05 model with the ddim Monsoon HU.

I've seen lots of threads of and pics of people who have installed Kenwood DVD/Nav units, but none of anyone who has actually installed a CD player.

I just want to replace my HU with one that allows for iPod integration/control. The color of the display on these units seems to go well with the Passat.

Crutchfield says that the new Kenwood DPX-501 and DPX-701 ddim HU wont fit my car. I haven't been able to identify any aftermaket ddim adapters for B5.5's, so I'm guessing Crutchfield is wrong on this one.

All help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
618 Posts
i have a ddx-6017 that snapped right in. also have some peripherals: tv tuner, hd radio, iPod module, as well as a sub. Pretty seamless, actually, its all hidden/integrated and looks great. Of course, you'll need a wiring harness and the correct antenna adapter. Best buy, crutchfield, etc. can provide these.

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,708 Posts
Don't take crutchfields word on DD fitment. I have the 701 in my 02. Perfect fit. As Paul will attest to, kenwood is the only one that DOES fit perfectly.

·
Registered
943 Posts
They should fit. They say the ddx-6019 doesn't fit, but I know first hand... it does!

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Don't take crutchfields word on DD fitment. I have the 701 in my 02. Perfect fit. As Paul will attest to, kenwood is the only one that DOES fit perfectly.
The Alpine IVA-W200 and Panasonic's DD will fit as well. The Kenwoods sit flush where the Alpine sticks out about 1/2". I haven't installed a Panansonic yet so I can't say how it'll sit, but it will fit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your help!

So they fit well, but do the colors of the display clash? Has anyone hooked the HU to the OEM amp?

My other option was simply getting an Icelink adapter, but I'm guessing iPod integration is better with the Kwood HU?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I haven't seen the Panasonic, but the Kenwood button match is DEAD ON. The Alpine has blue lighting but blends in really well despite. You can't realy go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
618 Posts
true true true. KW HUs match nearly dead-on! i was pleasantly surprised!

About the ipod adapter: I just got one (kca-ip500) and am having some trouble with the display. This could be that maybe it is not compatible with gen5 ipods. I need to hook up a gen4 to test this theory. If it does not work, I will be getting rid of the adapter because its a pain to operate.

I'll try to give an update when i test it out

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Will the Kenwood operate my Phatbox? I'd really hate to get rid of 1600+ songs.

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,708 Posts
I did it to mine. Works better than with the stock HU.
Not even really a software update, you just have to change the cofiguration in media manager from VW to musicKeg.

You need to catch up man, my PB is at 3k songs and still have 7gig to go:whistle: :D

I'm trying to find a 30gb flash drive though to hook to the usb port, then I'll sell the PB off.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I did it to mine. Works better than with the stock HU.
Not even really a software update, you just have to change the cofiguration in media manager from VW to musicKeg.

You need to catch up man, my PB is at 3k songs and still have 7gig to go:whistle: :D

I'm trying to find a 30gb flash drive though to hook to the usb port, then I'll sell the PB off.
When you sell the PB let me know, mine died last year and I want a replacement.:thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts