Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is a crazy :crazy: question, but do new brake rotors need to be machines before installation? I'm sure they're smooth and all, but are there any chemicals, etc. on the surface from the manufacturing process that must be cut off?

- Curtis

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
One of the pre-text of having a new rotor is so that you don't have to re-surface the rotor. Leave it alone ... just clean off what ever chemical on the surface with some degreaser solvent and you are good to go.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Most auto shops sell brake cleaner to remove the oil, grease, etc. from any machining and handling process (including your hand oils, et al, from installation) for $2-3. Wipe anything off before putting it on the car, once it's on, and before the caliper is on, rotate it a nd spray the cleaner on, letting it drip off and dry before installing the caliper. Should work fine and last a long time...

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
cwitt - for the most part, unless you buy the utmost premium rotors in the market, the braking surface will be plated with either a zinc alloy or cadmium. The plating is meant for the vent area and for the hub/hat area but since it's a dip type plating process, the whole rotor gets plated.

You might want to consider using the old pads (as long as they are not scraping/too thin) to break in the rotors so the plating material is not deposited on your pads. Now that I've said that, I want to mention that zinc alloy/cadmium deposits on your pad are relatively harmless and will burn off quickly with normal braking but since you asked! :wink:

Also note new performance pads should be bedded and new rotors should be seasoned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.