Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
First, I would like to caveat my comments be reiterating what you already stated, I personally have not read any post on this site from a V6 B5 owner complaining of sludge build up. This may not mean that it has/does not happen; we are not reading about it. We do know that the 1.8T suffers from sludging.

When you obtain a used car, which I have done many times, you do not know the maintenance history (unless immaculate records have been kept, which today is a rarity). You do not know things like oil change intervals. Therefore, it would not hurt to run a bottle of Auto-Rx through your motor prior to the switch. On the other hand, I do not believe that is mandatory either. Personally, I would run Auto-Rx in any used car I obtain. Read and follow the recommended instructions, use regular dino oil for the clean and rinse phase. With those complete, switch to synthetic.

After the factory maintenance schedule expired, I flushed my 1.8T with “Gunk” prior to changing over to synthetic (this was before I knew about Auto-Rx). I recommend Auto-Rx over the Gunk product based on its slow cleaning process, less likely to remove larger chunks or sheets of sludge which could foul the oil pump.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.