Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 99 v6 with only 39k miles on it and I put synth oil in it right away. Now I am reading all these posts about AUTO-RX. Should I have done the AUTO-RX treatment before putting synth in it.I hear about oil sludge in turbos alot but never in the v6, and with only 39k miles on the motor should I be concerned?[/img]

·
Registered
732 Posts
V6 isn't as critical regarding sludge formation (no turbo). OTOH, any engine will benefit from a thorough cleanup, even one with only 40k on it. I'd hit it with Auto-RX and then (ideally) maintain perfect cleanliness with a maint dose of 3 oz every change, or at least do a clean every 30k or so.

I wish very much that I'd known a couple years ago what I know now about oil, sludge and engine cleanliness.

·
Registered
659 Posts
First, I would like to caveat my comments be reiterating what you already stated, I personally have not read any post on this site from a V6 B5 owner complaining of sludge build up. This may not mean that it has/does not happen; we are not reading about it. We do know that the 1.8T suffers from sludging.

When you obtain a used car, which I have done many times, you do not know the maintenance history (unless immaculate records have been kept, which today is a rarity). You do not know things like oil change intervals. Therefore, it would not hurt to run a bottle of Auto-Rx through your motor prior to the switch. On the other hand, I do not believe that is mandatory either. Personally, I would run Auto-Rx in any used car I obtain. Read and follow the recommended instructions, use regular dino oil for the clean and rinse phase. With those complete, switch to synthetic.

After the factory maintenance schedule expired, I flushed my 1.8T with “Gunk” prior to changing over to synthetic (this was before I knew about Auto-Rx). I recommend Auto-Rx over the Gunk product based on its slow cleaning process, less likely to remove larger chunks or sheets of sludge which could foul the oil pump.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Eric:
If one uses synthetic oil, will the 3 oz maintenance dose be effective ? From the Auto-RX site, they state that you get the greatest effect of the product with non-synthetic oil. Thanks.
Kevin

·
Registered
732 Posts
Maint dose of 3oz is fine with synth per Frank and Tony. Dino is called for only during rinse phase after full cleaning. The idea of maint dose is not to clean and then rinse off big deposits, but to maintain cleanliness attained with the clean/rinse and it works fine with synth. The chemistry and demand on oil and detergents of a dirty and sludged engine is very different from that of a clean engine, IOW and cleanliness allows the maint dose to do it's work.

If you've not run the clean/rinse don't try the maint dose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.