Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought new front wheelbearings and steering knuckles for my Passat b5.5 and i was wondering if i would need to grease the outside/inside contact points on the bearings before i press them in? (Where the bearing meets the hub and steering knuckle)
2004 Passat b5.5 4motion

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
No, the bearings are sealed bearings and pre-greased from the manufacturer.

Reactions: VAGguy

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
Can we keep this Passat specific? Not all members are savvy to what other models have like / interchangeable parts.

·
Registered
2013 B7 2.5 L
44 Posts

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
I don't see how it would hurt and I expect it would help quite a bit on an older steering knuckle.

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
I don't see how it would hurt and I expect it would help quite a bit on an older steering knuckle.
Are we talking about greasing the outside of the bearing to ease the pressing of the bearing, or the internal rollers of the bearing?

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
To ease the pressing of the bearing.
Oh yeah, a little something might be all the difference in the world. If the bearing is manufactured to high limit and the knuckle to low limit...

·
Registered
21 Posts
After having to replace my bearings several times, (2002 Passat), screw ups, lack of proper torque, the answer is yes a light coat on the bearing and knuckle. Also it is a little easier if you put the bearings in the freezer for several hours and pull them out just before installation. Make sure that you put the bearing in the correct way, internal diameter is different on each side. The hub will only press in on one side. BTW, the axles can be removed without popping ball joints or pinch bolts if you remove the inner joint and angling the up into the engine compartment.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought new front wheelbearings and steering knuckles for my Passat b5.5 and i was wondering if i would need to grease the outside/inside contact points on the bearings before i press them in? (Where the bearing meets the hub and steering knuckle)
2004 Passat b5.5 4motion
It's not such a bad idea to grease the outside diameter of the wheel bearings before you press them in, grease the inside of the bore too. You'll be making it a little easier to press them in and a little easier to press them out again next time they go bad. It isn't a requirement to lube them at all, but the grease will squish out on the edges and seal between the outside diameter of the bearing itself and the inside diameter of the steering knuckle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts