Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the topic says, I changed the break pads last night, and the break feels like need to be bleeded. Is this normal? Should I give it couple more days for the pads to break in?

Thanks,

·
Registered
402 Posts
You only need to bleed them if you apened the line. Otherwise it should be fine. I would abserve the break-in instructions from the manufacturer. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time to get them to bite. Also, do you clean off the rotors with a brake cleaner. It is easy to get oil and grease on them during the process.

·
Registered
697 Posts
You dont NEED to bleed them but you SHOULD bleed them once every two years.
Brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbes water over time, reducing its wet boiling point. I know folks that never bleed, but its just a good maintainence procedure that if you have the time and skill, wont hurt and would help.

·
Registered
965 Posts
wchp said:
You dont NEED to bleed them but you SHOULD bleed them once every two years.
Brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbes water over time, reducing its wet boiling point. I know folks that never bleed, but its just a good maintainence procedure that if you have the time and skill, wont hurt and would help.
Right, you actually should flush the entire system of fluid every 2 years..
Fluid is hyGroscopic, not hyDroscopic. :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
MikekiM said:
Fluid is hyGroscopic, not hyDroscopic. :)
DOH! :shock:
hy·dro·scope n. , hydro·scopic adj.
An optical device used for viewing objects far below the surface of water.

hy·gro·scop·ic adj.
Readily absorbing moisture, as from the atmosphere.

Ok, fine... would you believe I own a submersable B5? :oops:

MikekiM makes a good point here... "entire system" and since the clutch shares the resevoir it should be flushed/bled as well. (Which by the way I do not know the correct sequence, but I have done it as the last item after all the wheel cyl. were done ! ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
wchp
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing