Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I have a 99 AEB and bought a Haynes manual for it: Chilton and Haynes are shyte, pure and simple. My friends and I set my Haynes on fire with those little "snakes" fireworks the other day and I have ordered a Bentley form a local dealer. Pretty expensive but worth the money I would lose in downtime because the Haynes and Chilton are inaccurate, ill-defined, and non-descriptive as mine shows an oxy sensor as a boost pressure sensor in a picture and elsewhere tells me to test the wastegate actuator with vacuum when you are supposed to use PRESSURE! :mad: My brother had a hell of a time with the Chiltons for his Accord and CRX as they tell you what to do, but not how to do it until he got the service manuals. The Bentley service manual is the way to go if you are going to be doing a lot of service to your car in the future.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Make sure you use new head bolts though!!! And you must torque them properly. Sorry but I don't know that torque spec off hand.

Be sure to also get the mating surfaces nice and clean. Use some alcohol or whatever to clean everything carefully.

·
Registered
829 Posts
LIVE4SPD is right, replace the head bolts. Using old head bolts can cause bad torque readings as the bolts are "stretched" for lack of better words. Also be sure the head and block surfaces are extremely clean as well as the head bolt holes. I used to use pipe cleaners to clean the threads out and had made a custom vaccuum cleaner attachment to suck out the oil and debri from the head bolt holes which if not cleaned out before torqing can also give you inaccurate readings.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HvyDrnkr23 said:
LIVE4SPD is right, replace the head bolts. Using old head bolts can cause bad torque readings as the bolts are "stretched" for lack of better words. Also be sure the head and block surfaces are extremely clean as well as the head bolt holes. I used to use pipe cleaners to clean the threads out and had made a custom vaccuum cleaner attachment to suck out the oil and debri from the head bolt holes which if not cleaned out before torqing can also give you inaccurate readings.
nope i did do that and did replace bolts i m just stuck on timing right now http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=901836#901836

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.