Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short PO said he did brakes and rotors before I bought it but they had to be redone due to a very halfass job. So I got my rears done and my ebrake working finally then I moved to the front where o found a weird wear pattern on the pads. Im not sure if its normal but there's about 11mm that isn't wearing as its sitting on top of the rotor instead of making contact. There's currently 288mm rotors that would be factory but I don't feel like a pad should wear this way. I'm not sure if the 312mm rotor conversion was done on it pr I'm just missing something previously in its life but hoping you folks may be able to help. I took photos off all numbers I could see on the carrier and of the pad wear. Any help would be tremendously appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
1st off, tell us what vehicle you have. What model & year, 1.8t, V6 or a W8? FWD or 4motion?
Right from the get-go it looks as though the pads are not matched to the rotor size, or the carrier has been changed for a bigger rotor and pads but a smaller rotor was used.
Need a few more specifics to narrow it down.
Maybe a picture that captures each of the following...
Carrier, caliper, pads and rotor.
Maybe even a picture of the whole thing assembled. Not necessarily completely buttoned up and locked down, but just good enough to get a proper view.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st off, tell us what vehicle you have. What model & year, 1.8t, V6 or a W8? FWD or 4motion?
Right from the get-go it looks as though the pads are not matched to the rotor size, or the carrier has been changed for a bigger rotor and pads but a smaller rotor was used.
Maybe even a picture of the whole thing assembled. Not necessarily completely buttoned up and locked down, but just good enough to get a proper view.
Apologies, its a 2003 fwd 1.8t. All buttoned up it looks pretty much standard I couldn't tell the pad was incorrectly worn and sitting higher until I took it apart. I can try to get photos of it basically together. I qas going to try to cross reference the carrier with any others but not sure how to decipher the numbers on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also from checking i do know the caliper is the factory one as the pad kit fits perfectly to the caliper

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
ok, right off the bat, I know that 282.5 x 25 front rotors were used until sometime in 1999.
Then it was a 288 x 25 rotor up front. The split is in the 1999 model year, so VIN# will dictate which ones are stock specifications.
Looks pretty obvious there's a mix of brake parts that don't quite match.
Let me look up the part numbers and I'll post back.

Brake upgrade FYI...

For a factory fit upgrade a 312 x 25 rotor is used with a carrier from an (if memory serves me correctly) Audi TT.

After that if you wanna go even bigger, the Audi A8, W8 brake kit upgrade works well, but that requires a swap of the steering knuckles and minimum 17" wheels.

Then if you want to get stupid silly with the ultimate brake upgrade, a set of Brembo 17z calipers and variations of 330mm up to 360mm dia rotors.

I have 2 spare sets of Brembo 17z six piston calipers and rear 4 piston calipers from a Touareg / Cayenne.
Saving those for a rainy day project. :whistle:

·
Registered
9,379 Posts
The diameter difference between that rotor and the right rotor for those pads, is far more than the difference between 282.5 and 288.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
Got a pic showing how it sits on the rotor? Measured the rotor yet?

Best bang for your buck is to find the caliper carriers/brackets from a TT MK1 225hp and use a D2 A8 312mm rotor. It's like throwing out an anchor imo, compared to stock.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a pic showing how it sits on the rotor? Measured the rotor yet?

Best bang for your buck is to find the caliper carriers/brackets from a TT MK1 225hp and use a D2 A8 312mm rotor. It's like throwing out an anchor imo, compared to stock.
The rotor currently on the car is the 288mm which I confirmed earlier.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
Sorry, not enough coffee. Still curious on how it looks assembled. Those numbers on the carriers do not indicate what part number they might be. Plus, all pics that I can find of Passat carriers have a 301 on them. Does the rotor fill up the carrier like this pic?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, not enough coffee. Still curious on how it looks assembled. Those numbers on the carriers do not indicate what part number they might be. Plus, all pics that I can find of Passat carriers have a 301 on them. Does the rotor fill up the carrier like this pic?
View attachment 100297
View attachment 100296
No. Thats the first part I thought was weird. There definitely looked to a bit of extra space.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
Search on a 1998 A8 quattro. part# should be 8E0 615 301 R. Rockauto has great prices on them right now. get the coated ones.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Nice.
It's a good thing VAGguy came to the rescue, I can't find my link to the ETKA for part numbers. 😕
Those rotors should work out well for you.

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
Hell Yeah! That's what I'm talking about!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts