Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to just peice together a DIY turbo setup? a T25 turbo comes stock on an eclipse GS-T and i can get 1 for free bareley used. In theory, wouldn't all i need to run the turbo is a manifold, program, injectors, and FPR to run it?! If i understand it correctly, the APR setup is a T25? Can't i jsut get an APR manifold & ecu programming and peice the rest together then i'd have a poor-boy APR kit?!

Even more can i do the same with a T28? (get the PES manifold & GIAC programing)

Thoughts? Pros, Cons? Possibilities?

I figure if u end up spending 1-2k for the other parts (assuming you get the free t25/t28) it'll still be cheaper than the 3-4k apr/pes kits and in theory will put out more than a K04 right? That's my thoughts behind the idea at least. :suspicio:

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Theory always works well in theory. That's the nature of recursion. You are making an assumption APR does not mess with the internals of the GT25. I have no clue so I can't answer that, but if the assumption is valid (GS-T's turbo and ARP's turbo are identical), then yes, your theory would likely work out in practice. Don't forget the gaskets. You'd also have to get their MAF, which could be very costly. If I were building this, I'd probably look at whatever MAF they're using, which could be from Bosch but I would not know the size. And the intake hose is custom too. That part, I don't think you can get just anywhere.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
anythings possible, do you have some good connections with some machinists and mecanics and shit caus youll need some resources.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
APR & ATP both use a 25/28 hybrid turbo known as the gt28r, they have a t25 hotside/flange w/ a t28 compressor. The t25 is a small turbo and the one out of the eclipse will be difficlut due the way the compressor outlet is plumbed with the curved outlet like the turbos on transverse vdubs.
Another thing to consider is that the t25 maxes out around 250hp, thats MAX. Not really much better than a k04 and a hell of a lot more work. Next, you won't be able to get PES/APR's manifold and most other manifolds set the turbo in a different orrientation so you will need a custom downpipe. Here are links to a couple passat style manifolds I found online http://www.dnperformance.com/audivw.html http://www.sfp.net/. Yes, you can do it, dont mess with the t25, not worth the effort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts