Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this himself yet? I always do my own suspension but there are usually very thorough instructions on the Vortex or here and I'd rather not spend a weekend cursing at my tools.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just swapping out springs... something mild like Eibach.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Kirby...

I had my H&R's done at a shop here in Denver (Autobahn). I kind of helped them with the install since it was their first time with the B6 Passat and mine as well. The install went smoothly, no biggie. It was on a lift though which helped!
Overall it took about 4 hours. There was a small learning curve as to the way the new rear suspension is set up but no biggie. Just had to find out the hard way which bolts to take out! The toughest corner was the passenger side front. It took the longest.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So with me having done at least a dozen suspension installations on various VW's, I should be ok? I don't have a lift but I have two 3 ton hydrualics and jack stands. Hmmm...

Also, you have JUST the springs? How is she riding on the stock shocks with the H&R's?

·
Registered
54 Posts
kirby said:
So with me having done at least a dozen suspension installations on various VW's, I should be ok? I don't have a lift but I have two 3 ton hydrualics and jack stands. Hmmm...

Also, you have JUST the springs? How is she riding on the stock shocks with the H&R's?

I just lowered my car with the Eibachs, they aren't even settled yet and look real good. The rears are a piece of cake but the fronts are going to be hell if you don't have air tools. It is still possible with out them but you better set aside a whole day for it just incase something goes wrong/not as planned. You have to pop out the axle and drop the spindle it is all crazy stuff but there is no DIY anywhere for the B6. Solution: thankfully it uses the same suspension as the MK5. The MK5 forum on vwvortex.com has a diy section at the top and go in there to suspension. There are two DIYs for it. You should go off of whatever but the one from syntrix is good. You don't need a 14mm triple square socket for the pinch bolt. I used a T60 torx and it matched up perfectly, no ghetto stuff.

Good luck!! It is not as hard as you think, just time consuming.

If you have done later VW suspensions before it should be cake for you. They still use that damn pinch bolt design! I HATE IT!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts