Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any links/tutorial/quick rundown on how to replace the coolent reservoir? I'm driving a 2000 v6 tip.

Mine has gotten some small cracks in it and is leaking. Dealer wants $150+ to replace it. I don't think so.

Thanks!
Gilbert

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol: LOL, didn't know if there was some release valve, flush, or other shite like that to perform. I mean, there is coolent in there, ya know? :nervous:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
PassatDude said:
:lol: LOL, didn't know if there was some release valve, flush, or other shite like that to perform. I mean, there is coolent in there, ya know? :nervous:
Maybe a good time to perform a flush if you need it. BTW, make sure you don't spill the coolant on the paint.

·
Registered
301 Posts
for someone who's never messed with them b4, the hose clamps can be a pain. make sure u have a pair of channel-locks or other decent pliers around to compress the tops of them, and then slide them down the far end of the hose. its easy, u shouldnt have any problems :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
right hander: left hand pliers, right hand pull hose
left hader: reverse of above

Don't bother sliding them down.

wiggle wiggle... don't recommend lubing the hose up when you put it back. Sounds tempting, but avoid contaminating the coolant.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
don't recommend lubing the hose up when you put it back. Sounds tempting, but avoid contaminating the coolant.
Wouldn't some KY jelly work, I believe it is water based and soluable. And one of its main purposes is to not to degrade plastic/latex...so wouldn't it be safe on the seals.

And I'm trying to be serious here!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey, I used a tiny bit of "Extra Virgen Olive Oil" for lube on the inside lip of my radiator hoses as I couldn't get them on the radiator any other way. Just one quick swipe of the oil and, pop, the hose slid right onto the radiator. Strangely, I had a strong craving for lasagna for the rest of the day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.