Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

I found this on the MK4 pages on vwvortex awhile ago. I would cite the original webpage and creator, but its next to impossible to do now that the site has switched software and such.

For around $20, you can fabricate your own front lip for your Passat! No expensive Euro-Cupra part or ricey body kit.

I would give the proper warning about hurting yourself or your car when attempting this, but I highly doubt that anyone can hurt themselves with double-sided tape and foam. :lol:

Parts list:
Cleaning agent (I used rubbing alcohol)
1.5 rolls of 3M Double-sided outdoor tape

Roll of foam garage door sealer (I bought the 16' roll, but the 9' should be more than enough)

Level
Razor/scissors

Note: I found the tape and sealer at Home Depot.

Process:
1. Clean the underside of your bumper to ensure that the tape will stick. I used a clean rag and rubbing alcohol, but I'm sure anything will work.

2. Unroll the tape, following the edge of the bumper. It is difficult to follow the curve at times, so I cut separate pieces and placed them as close as I could end to end.

3. Unroll the foam sealer.

You can see the profile of the sealer in the picture above. You can use whichever side you want to mount to the vehicle. Start at one side of the bumper, peeling the red film from each section of tape that you mounted. Line up the foam with the edge of the tape and bumper, and press down hard! Ensure that you have adhesion between the foam and the tape.

4. When you reach the other side of the bumper, cut any remaining foam evenly with scissors. You will notice that the foam follows the curve of the bumper down and has a sharp finishing corner. I like a more finished look, so I used the level and a pencil to mark a horizontal line and trimmed using scissors:

5. Enjoy your work!

My first lip lasted until the winter, when i scraped it completely off on a hidden curb. Other than this incident, it held up to everything from highway speeds to bending it on parking barriers, etc. It makes a nice, subtle change to the front end and is very easy and inexpensive.

Enjoy!:thumbup:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nice DIY, i was trying to find a way to do something like this but I'm afraid if I did this I'd rip it off being as low as I am

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Not bad at all. I'm surprised how good it looks. I put that stuff around my window air conditioner. Works great. :thumbup:

A coat or two of 303 Protectant or Megs Trim Detailer would probably make it look even better.

·
Confused
3,564 Posts
Very nice. I love the idea! You, sir, are the king of cheap, but effective mods.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I really like this. I had some idea in my head that I wanted to try, but this one seem to be awesome and cheap !

Excellent work

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guys...I would take credit, but someone else originally thought of this. I'm just glad I can contribute something back to the forum, even if it is a $20/15min DIY!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Gordo - thanks SO MUCH for this writeup. I did it today for $17 and 20min. It really makes a big difference on the front end and you really dont have to worry about it if it gets damaged...MODS...STICKY THIS ONE!!!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
35 Participants
PWRSAT WAGEN
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing