Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have read a few write ups on the engine speed sensor replacement. A lot say you have to remove oil filter, jack car up and get at it from underneath or through wheel well. I did this on my 1999 VW Passat 1.8t AEB without doing that so here is my first attempt at a write up.

Before removing the sensor you can use this http://www.agthompsonfamily.com/vw/BentleyCD-AFP-CheckingEngineSpeedSensor.pdf to test the sensor to see if it is truly faulty.

Again this is 1999 Passat 1.8t AEB

You'll need a screw driver to remove coolant expansion tank.
5mm allen or 5mm hex bit socket

First you will need to move your coolant expansion tank out of the way.
IMAG0288.jpg

Locate the the Engine Speed Sensor electrical connector that is located on the firewall below the expansion tank. It is the grey plug connector.
IMAG0289.jpg
Then disconnect the plug connection that goes to the ECU
IMAG0291.jpg
Remove the plug from the clip attached to the firewall. You will have to follow the wire down. On my car it was attached via 2 zip ties. Remove those two ties and follow the wire down to right where your oil filter is located.
IMAG0292.jpg
There is one bolt attaching the sensor to the engine. You can use the 5mm allen or 5mm hex socket to remove that. It is tricky to get at but with a little determination you can access it for removal.
IMAG0294.jpg
After you get the bolt out wiggle the sensor a little bit to remove it and there you go, your Engine Speed Sensor is out.
IMAG0295.jpg
Install your new sensor in reverse order and you are on your way. Don't forget to use new zip ties on the wires to keep them away from the hot motor!

Hope this helps someone.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
I'll add. On newer passats and A4s, the routing of the wiring is so inaccessible that it prohibits easily snipping a few zip ties. Mine went over to the center of the engine and then doubled back. Since I could not access the other zip ties, I just cut the wire, pulled it through and reouted the new wiring more directly.

Reactions: dihedral

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah its a pain in the ass to get to the zip ties but I found that if I stood right about where my driver side front headlight was I was able to get back in there to get to them. I replaced mine with one from a scrap yard and was able to access the zip ties on that car as well. Its a pain in the ass but do-able. I tried to get pics of the ties but my engine is sooooo dirty none of the pics would come out so you could see the ties.

·
Registered
33 Posts
anyone have the ohm meter specs to chk this .I believe it pins 1-3 infinity 2-3 not sure 100-750 ohms so my 860 reading is bad ?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion
182 Posts
anyone have the ohm meter specs to chk this .I believe it pins 1-3 infinity 2-3 not sure 100-750 ohms so my 860 reading is bad ?
For an ATQ:
  • Using a multimeter , check the Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor G28 terminals 2 to 3 for resistance.

• Specified value: 0.7 to 1000 kOhm

• Check Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor G28 terminals 1 to 2 and 1 to 3 for short circuits

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
For an ATQ:
  • Using a multimeter , check the Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor G28 terminals 2 to 3 for resistance.
  • Specified value: 0.7 to 1000 kOhm
0.7 to 1000 kOhm? That's a huge range!

Per Bentley page J24-21, the specified value is 730 - 1000 Ohms.

(which is 0.73 - 1.00 kOhm, and that's probably what you meant)

I would point out that the Engine Speed Sensor doesn't usually fail completely--it just gets flaky. I suspect a very flaky sensor would still pass this test, but not let the car start.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,601 Posts
Mine went over to the center of the engine and then doubled back
So you may think about the minds who made such crazy design. Why on earth no one ever asked the simple question from these guys why not go the shortest rout and connect the damn thing o_O

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
It's all about how it's assembled outside the vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rock Auto- $13 bucks. Long ass arms- priceless. Making sure my 2003 didn't fail with my daughter driving? No price would buy that. It is a bit of a PITA. Engineers sure can cram a sensor into a weird spot.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Rock Auto- $13 bucks. Long ass arms- priceless. Making sure my 2003 didn't fail with my daughter driving? No price would buy that. It is a bit of a PITA. Engineers sure can cram a sensor into a weird spot.
No disrespect but there are certain things you can go cheap on , the ESS in my opinion is not one of them. Be cautious as to the manufacturer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts