Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do my ProKit this weekend. Confirmed Eibach says to cut the front bump stops 30mm off the bottom.

Question: Anyone done this and how did you cut them? Search yields no answers: I found the question raised once before and not answered.

So, anyone want to opine on how to cut them?

TIA

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pass-variant said:
My Eibachs came with shorter OEM bump stops from the 1BB suspension. No need to cut anything.
quality_sound said:
Mine has the shorted fron bump stops as well. I didn't see anythin gin the instructions about cutting anything.

Paul :thumbup:
Can either of you tell me how long yours are so I can compare BEFORE cutting? If they gave you 1BB stops, do you know the part number?

You are right - nothing in the directions, but member sashadg is an Eibach rep and posted on this before. Called Eibach and they did not have an answer as to how long they should be after cutting and I have seen several confusing and conflicting posts here. I'm looking for a number on the length as you actually used it.

BTW, I'm an '02 1.8T 5 spd, FWD because there has also been some confusion between years and models.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
my eibach shocks came with the shorter bumpstops. If you just buy the springs I think you are supposed to cut the stock ones.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not_too_shabby said:
my eibach shocks came with the shorter bumpstops. If you just buy the springs I think you are supposed to cut the stock ones.
How LONG are the shorter ones that came with your Eibach shocks? Do they have a VW part number?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
MDG said:
not_too_shabby said:
How LONG are the shorter ones that came with your Eibach shocks? Do they have a VW part number?

Thanks
They have an AUDI part number - I can get that to you tonight if you can wait.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did, with absolutely no adverse affects. My instructions from Eibach specifically stated to do so. I hav a 2000 1.8T late vin. I used a hack saw but a utility knife will do. The purpose of cutting the bumpstop is to restore the full suspension travel of which you just reduced it by 30mm. Cutting the stop will restore this and keep the suspension from prematurely bottoming out. Remember the bumpstop is made from what appears to be nylon or some man made rubber that is pretty stiff, and when it is contacted the the whole dynamics of the suspension changes for the worse. I cut mine retaining the first groove so that you can slip the dust cover back on, so I actually cut off about 28mm not 30. If you get creative using a knife, you could probably cut it at an angle preserving the entire groove. Good luck.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
markw said:
I did, with absolutely no adverse affects.
quality_sound said:
Audi bumpstop PN - 800 412 131 E is what was included in my Pro-system

Paul :thumbup:
Markw, do you know if you had the same stop or what the resulting length was? I really appreciate all the help on this, but am concerned that some folks are getting different sized stops and that, therefore, some need cutting and some don't.

Again, thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
199 Posts
markw said:
I did, with absolutely no adverse affects. My instructions from Eibach specifically stated to do so. I hav a 2000 1.8T late vin. I used a hack saw but a utility knife will do. The purpose of cutting the bumpstop is to restore the full suspension travel of which you just reduced it by 30mm. Cutting the stop will restore this and keep the suspension from prematurely bottoming out.
Hmm... I have a different impression. The bumpstop would be used to create a minimum height for the car - in other words it should stop the bottom of the car from hitting the ground even if the rest of the suspension would allow that much travel. Lowering the car means the shocks will have less travel, but the shocks will still hit the bumpstops at the same height from the ground.

The higher spring rate or sports springs is actually what should keep your from bottoming out "prematurely". Cutting the bumpstops will simply increase the chances that you'll bottom out. I imagine that the OE bumpstops are conservative, so cutting them probably doesn't increase the risk all that much. Still, I stiffer springs should basically make this conversation moot - you shouldn't be any more likely to hit the bumpstops even with less overall travel.

Right? This is why I didn't cut anything on my setup (H&R Sports).

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I went back and cut the bump stops that were supplied with the kit. Before trimming off 30mm my car was had about 12mm more wheelwell gap. Clearly the car was resting on the bumpstops. The suspension certainly performs better when its not resting on the bumpstops. This is definately one of the reasons why the face lifted Passats has a funny looking rake after installing the Pro System.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
If I remember correctly the supplied bumpstops were about an inch shorter than stock, so that's consistent with the 3cm you are supposed to cut off the stock ones if you only bought the springs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts