Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my father and I started at about 1:30 yesterday afternoon and finished today at about 12:45 in the AM. This mod is AWESOME and was worth every minute of work.

-Audi A4 fogs and bezels, each had to be custom fitted, cost me $60 to buy.
-The brackets made may not look sturdy, but you can lift and shake the entire bumper by them; ask me how I know.
-Some light bleeds through the inside grill section, but not much; I will probably paint the lens section black in the spring to prevent this.
-When you look at them, they seem to belong there and unless observed very closely you cannot tell they are retro-fitted.
-I had to move one of my horns, I do not like the bracket I had to make but it was about 12:15 and I was ready to pass out on my garage floor.

This mod should not be undertaken by the inexperienced, the work is tedious and requires immense amounts of effort. I think it would have been easier to remove the engine than install these fogs; but they are sooooo cool.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY OCCUR TO YOU AND/OR YOU'RE VEHICLE WHILE PERFORMING THIS MOD

Materials:
The fogs I used were from a 2001 Audi A4, but the fogs from a 2001-2004 should work also.
Perforated, galvanized angle iron or you're choice of material (About two feet should be more than plenty)
Aluminum or galvanized rivets (6)
Galvanized self-tapping screws (4)
Thin copper wire or another non-corroding wire
Electrical Tape
Liquid Electrical Tape
Heat shrink tubing
Sand Paper (A heavy and fine grit of your choosing)
Cardboard or other material suitable to make a template out of.
Small Bolts (2)
Nuts to fit Bolts (2)
Electrical wire (at least 7-8 feet)

Tools:
A Dremel tool with multiple attachments is HIGHLY recommended
Pliers
Philips and Flathead screwdrivers
Wire Cutters
Sheet metal cutters
Screw gun
Soldering Iron
Solder
Heat Gun or Lighter
Razor blade
Various hex bits
Various sockets
Black permanent marker
Drill bits
Rivet gun

Fitment Process:
Start by removing the front bumper, along with the headlamps and corner markers.
Remove the lower grille inserts.
Make a template of one of the corners of the grille insert of you're choosing. (You can flip this template for the opposite side)
Use the template to draw a line on the face of the fog lamp bezel making sure to remove the MINIMUM amount of material as possible.

Use the Dremel to remove the bulk of the material, then move on to sandpaper when very close to the outline.
-At this point, remove the horizontal slats from the grille insert and trim as necessary to allow the bezel to fit better. (Do not remove all of the plastic from the curved side of the grille, you will need some of the leftover slat sections to secure the bezel)

Continue to perfect the shape of the bezel and check fitment often.

It is you're choice to overlap the slats as shown below:

Once the trimming is complete, drill holes large enough to allow the wire to pass through into each of the tabs that protrude from the back of the bezel.
Now drill holes into the grille insert to allow the wire to pass through.
Secure the bezel with the wire, and make sure it is tightly secured.
Place the bezel into the bumper.

Now on to the lamps themselves:
You will most likely need to remove the original tabs that secured the bezel in place, but this depends on you're choice of mounting points.
Place the lamp behind the bezel (which is in the bumper) and aim properly, from there cut a piece of angle iron long enough to reach over the top of the insert slot and below it as well.
Secure this piece of metal with two self-tapping screws.
Continue to bend the metal to fit the lamp properly behind the bezel.
Once this is done, cut a shorter piece as shown to reach the other mounting point.
Secure this with a nut and bolt.
Now, once the bending is complete place the lamp into its proper place and make sure this is where you want it.
With the marker, mark where the holes for the rivets are to be drilled.
-Remove the grille from the bumper and drill the holes.
Place the lamp assembly back into the bumper and rivet into place.

Congratulations, you have completed one side, it should have been around 4 hours with two people or 6 with just you.
Repeat ALL of this for the other side.

Electrical Connections:
This write-up is assuming you're car came with the factory integrated fog lights.
The connectors are most easily obtained either from the seller of the fog lamps themselves, or from a junk yard. if you do not get them from these sources, PM me and I can get you the part numbers.
You will have to cut open you're factory headlamp harnesses.

The wire lengths should be sufficient enough to reach the lamp while the bumper is on the ground.
For the grounds, cut away the wire coating (about a half-inch or less); tin the exposed wire and the wire to be attached; solder together and cover with liquid tape; allow to dry and wrap with regular electrical tape.

For the power lines; CUT the line (White wire with a green stripe) from the headlamp assembly and DO NOT re-connect (If these are tied in, damage to the electrical system may occur!)
Tin the ends of both of these wires, cut a section of heat shrink tubing long enough to cover the joint and add an inch to it; place cut tube over wire and slide down; solder wires together and use heat gun to shrink tube over joint.
Now solder the fog lamp connector to the wires, applying heat shrink tubing as necessary.
Loom the wires with electrical tape and cover up the harnesses as necessary.

Plug in and test you're work!

The Horns:
The lower mounted horn will need to be moved to another location of you're choosing; I chose to make a bracket and mount behind the bumper bar so that I did not have to re-wire it:

Put the bumper back on and enjoy you're hard work:

My camera dulled this pic for some reason, the lights are actually much brighter. Also, you can see the light bleeding around the bezels as mentioned above.

You have now been working for about 11 hours and have earned you're self a few beers, so sit back and enjoy them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Very cool
I need this mod.. Been wanting to do it since I got the car. Fogs need to be LOW, it makes a huge difference cause they shine under the fog (at least around here.
Are you going with the 6000K or the 3000K HIDs (kidding) I've wanted yellow, but Lexus turned them into a symbol of JapApplianceCar Douchebaggery.

Great writeup. Thanks!!

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the good feedback, it took a great deal of hard work.
As for HID's, I don't know yet, it seems to prone to moisture down there to mess with them. Maybe just some good bulbs will do.
Yellow and Blue are best for cutting through fog, if I apply film or change the color it will not happen until spring.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Wow that is a fantastic job, I've thought about doing this but never had the money to splurge not knowing if it would fit well or not. Those fog trim pieces fit seamlessly! I am going to get on this for sure. What did you wire them into?

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used the factory fog power wires and tied into the grounds to the headlights. The wiring was easy, the fabrication was the hard part. You WILL need a dremel tool and some metal to work with.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts