Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the mechanic diagnosed the evaporator was leaking. He quoted about 8-9 hours for the job to the tune of about $1100 for labor and parts. Not rediculous considering the work involved, but more than i cared to afford. Saved myself about $75 on parts thanks to our discount with Libertyville VW. Had them shipped to a friend's house in CT I was visiting on a trip north the last two weeks, and had a shop there evac and recharge the system for around $106 so I could work on a depressurized system. On to the pics. The _whole_ dash had to come out:

You can't get the box out without removing the coolant lines to the heater core:

and here are the ac lines:

Took about a day and a half to get it apart and back together again with the help of my wife and our friend. Note you'll have to replace the O-rings on the ac lines and use special r134 oil to lubricate them before you screw things back together.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We actually messed up the first time and sheared one of the o rings so it wouldn't hold vacuum. The mechanic was a great guy though and didn't charge us for the second visit after we replaced it.

It was a long process, but far less scary than you might think. just be gentle with the air bags :lol:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
AidanLee said:
We actually messed up the first time and sheared one of the o rings so it wouldn't hold vacuum. The mechanic was a great guy though and didn't charge us for the second visit after we replaced it.

It was a long process, but far less scary than you might think. just be gentle with the air bags :lol:
Don't feel bad about the O-rings.

A friend of mine did something with the heater core of a BMW 740.

Except when you do that, it pumps the cabin full of coolant.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Considering how many parts that are in just_the_dash of a modern vehicle, it is a wonder everything works day in and day out without error.

Good job! Far more technical DIY then I could handle!

·
Registered
400 Posts
i had my dash apart last month to same thing but i was and still am tryin to figure out what that little box infront of the shift knob is it looks like a little ecu ( i know its not but thats just an example of what it looks like?) some people have told it its for the tiptronic mode anyone know what im talking about?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the shame of it was i had all that carpet exposed, and the friend we were staying with had just moved into the place and didn't yet own a vacuum. :weirdo:

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Holy Crap !! that look's worse than a timing belt change. :nervous:

Well done. I assume it all worked out ok and now you have cold air? :thumbup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yep. The shop tested that it held vaccuum for 1/2 hour before recharging it. Been nice and cold since, so looks like we're golden :thumbup:

·
Registered
28,876 Posts
Good work. Don't know if I would mess with that,but for that much money,I
could get an FMIC so I would be tempted.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
XedoS69 said:
do you have any leftovers? :suspicio:
heh, you caught me. I have about a half a dozen screws left over, yeah. Wasn't smart about taping screws to the parts they came off of. will be better about it next time. The dash feels completely solid and no creaking or squeaking while i'm driving around, so i'm hoping that it was just our friendly VW Engineers over-engineering the dash. :weirdo:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.