Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice from several people on here the recommendation to change your DV when you chip your B5.

A couple of you mention using an Audi TT DV as a cheaper alternative to say a Forge... I've also heard that the Forge is actually 'too good' in that it can cause other areas of the system to give trouble.

My question:

If I chip my 1.8T (Year 2000 w/Tip) and get a TT valve, what exactly will be the difference (either better or worse) against a Forge?

Thanks

David :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
it certainly won't last as long as the serviceable offerings from Forge or Stratmosphere; depending on what programming you're running.

if you're running .8 bar (like neuspeed, for example), then you should be ok with the TT DV.

so by the time you're on your 3rd or 4th TT valve, you could have paid once for an aftermarket DV.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
boosted20v said:
I was told from a reliable source that the Passat uses the same DV as in the TT. It's the MKIV 1.8t's that don't.
I was also told that my 02 1.8T DV was the same as whats on the S4. Did I believe them? Sorta....I drove my chipped car for about a week with the stock DV and I absolutely hated it. Boost is there but surges like crazy. I spoke to Wett and they asked if I had changed my DV. Week after, I ordered a Forge DV006 and 2 years later and 40,000kms past I still have a smile when I drive my Passat.

The Forge might be expensive but it will come in cheaper in the long run, plus cant beat the quality of the internals. I remember them explaining how you can poke the inside with a pen and I tried that on the stock DV. That thing was a piece of junk....

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
the DV that i purchased directly from a VW parts dept- was the 710N. Have it installed by myself (along w/ changing the vacuum hoses)...

The parts guy was knowledgeable enough that he gave me the 710n instead fo the 710A. As he handed it to me "Here, this DV should be better". Which i didn't even think of going to AUdi to get the TT DV.. which is essentially the 710n (right?) And yes, he even asked if i was chipped. (Neuspeed VBL 1.0). I have no worries of them finding out anyways since my warranty's all gone..

e

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.