Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
An update...

The root cause of the original problem (rough running, as though the engine wasn't firing on all 4 cylinders) was indeed a failed coil pack. I had the car towed to the stealership, who fixed the coil pack and did the P9 (air plenum) recall. They flushed the cooling system, too; this seems to have taken care of the gurgling sound (but that's a different story).

Nonetheless, after I picked the car up, it didn't seem to run properly. No obvious boost. Very early shift points, and an absolute refusal to go anywhere near the red line. Sooooo....

I took it down to the indy shop (TKO Motorwerks, Auburn, WA) where I had had the ECU upgraded to the Revo stage 1 program. Thip's mechanic took it for a drive, came back, and said "This thing isn't right." A quick examination revealed that somewhere, somehow, the vacuum line to the DV had come loose from at the DV. Not only was I getting no boost, but somehow, the program in the ECU migrated into something called "Valet Mode" that limits the engine speed to 4000 rpm and generally causes it to behave like something that the typical Ford buyer would appreciate. He fixed the vacuum line, cleared some codes, reprogrammed the engine, and WOO HOO! We be havin' fun now! :lol:

This is a good time to tell everybody at PW how much I've enjoyed reading about all the problems, successes, anguish, and fun that go along with owning a B5.5. I've never had a car that one could modify and would have never considered doing anything to this one if I hadn't gotten the bug from everybody here. (Hell, the last car I owned before this one had a f&*king carburetor!) I'm looking forward to having more mods done; Thip's working on me to go to a CAI and the B5 Passat TurboPod from NewSouth Performance. (I'd do this stuff myself, but don't have a garage and work s&*tloads of overtime, so it really isn't in the cards...)

So again, thanks to everyone! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Don't get a CAI. Trust me. Just search for Cold Air Intake. You'd get flamed to hell and back again.

Get a boost guage, though. It will be much easier to diagnose problems with it. Also, congratulations on getting it fixed!!!

:thumbup:

·
The "Odd" one
6,068 Posts
I was going to give you a "heads up" post here since you satated you were just flashed. With the extra boost the car is producing you should upgrade you DV to the TT version at the least. Baileys and Forged are probably the most popular. At the same time replace all you vaccuum lines with heavier duty lines. This will help in the cause of a disconnected line with all that extra boost you are running.

Finally...get a boost gauge. Some may not like the "racey" look it gives but you will know immediately when you have a difference in boost.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I was going to give you a "heads up" post here since you satated you were just flashed. With the extra boost the car is producing you should upgrade you DV to the TT version at the least. .... Some may not like the "racey" look it gives but you will know immediately when you have a difference in boost.
Yep, a DV and vacuum line upgrade is on the list when I take the car in for its next service. The gauge pod I'm looking at goes nicely with the rest of the dash area. I'd've been far less enthusiastic if all I could get was some cheesy Pep Boys thing.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Don't get a CAI. Trust me. Just search for Cold Air Intake. You'd get flamed to hell and back again.

Get a boost guage, though. It will be much easier to diagnose problems with it. Also, congratulations on getting it fixed!!!

:thumbup:
Xyro:

Thanks. I found this summary thread regarding CAI's:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194404

I'm working my way through it. It seems as though no one has figured out a way to improve on the stock airbox. Is this a fair statement?

Is the general consensus that a CAI is a waste of time, or can it actually degrade performance?

I'll keep plugging through the threads...

·
Registered
253 Posts
ideal is a huge filter element (why not wrap it into a cone), cold air only and ram effect at speed.

CAI kits get the huge filter element thing but separating the filter from the engine heat is very difficult. then, making it ram becomes nearly impossible.

a good solution is to use stock air box with an itg flat panel filter with the slush basket removed. you're stuck with a relatively small filter but you get cold air only and a slight ram effect. plus your engine doen't get much louder..

·
Registered
2 Posts
A honking sound usually. What symptoms are you experiencing to make you think something may be wrong?
So I put my original diverter valve back on my car cuz I thought my new one was bad cuz I did a smoke test and smoke came out of it, would my diverter valve going out cause honking sounds during acceleration?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok now I put a different on it and now when trying to eccelerate it misfires then gets up to speed but this one is a blow off valve. Could that be causing that. It's the only thing I changed

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok now I put a different on it and now when trying to eccelerate it misfires then gets up to speed but this one is a blow off valve. Could that be causing that. It's the only thing I changed
If you are venting to atmosphere then yeah that can cause the car to run rough. You have a MAF which measures air and with a BOV you vent that air that the car/ecu is expecting and it starts trying to compensate for that.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts