Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Australian man attacked by a shark swam and drove for help with the creature still clinging to his leg.
Luke Tresoglavic, 22, was snorkelling near Newcastle, north of Sydney, when he was bitten by a two-feet-long Wobbegong shark.

When the shark refused to let go, Mr Tresoglavic swam 300 meters (1,000 feet) to shore, walked to his car and drove to the local surf club.

Lifeguards flushed the shark's gills with fresh water to loosen its grip.

"I just realised I had to swim in like that, hanging on to it," Mr Tresoglavic told Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) radio on Wednesday.

He had been snorkelling off Caves Beach, about 120 km (75 miles) north of Sydney.

A senior lifeguard at the local clubhouse, Michael Jones, said he could not believe what he was seeing when Mr Tresoglavic walked in.

"There's nothing in our procedure manual for that type of thing," Mr Jones said.

But he said Mr Tresoglavic was in good spirits.

"There was a side of humour to it," he said.

The snorkeller suffered puncture wounds to his leg from the shark's razor-sharp teeth, but did not need stitches - only a course of antibiotics.

The shark, however, died, and the Tresoglavic family reportedly buried it in their garden. :lol:

Wobbegong sharks can grow to three metres (10 feet) in length. They dwell on the sea floor and have excellent camouflage, making them hard to detect among rocks and coral.

source: bbc

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
20vvillian said:
The snorkeller suffered puncture wounds to his leg from the shark's razor-sharp teeth, but did not need stitches - only a course of antibiotics.

source: bbc
<rant>
So, something I've always wondered about stories like this is why they always refer to shark's teeth as "razor sharp"? Don't get me wrong, I know they are very sharp, but I've handled sharks teeth (not while still attached!) and they are not as sharp as a razor blade. I've heard similar comments made about dinosaur teeth -- particularly the infamous T-Rex. Sorry, those teeth are not razor sharp. It seems like this phrase is used to try to create a greater image of danger than there already is/was.
</rant>
:)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read some where that some sharks exert like 16 tons or more of pressure at the tip of their teeth, I dont know about you but that makes a razor sound good to me!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Agreed! In fact, when referring to the force at the tips of their teeth, I think it would be at least better to refer to them as needle-sharp. Whatever they are, I don't want them clamping on my flesh!

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Because when that shark bites you it cuts your flesh like a knife through butter.

And sharks like the great white are serrated to slice through nice a quick. They might not be sharp as a razor, but their action is razor sharp in effect.

Would you call paper razor sharp, but we all know how fast and mean they can cut you with proper angle and presure. Sometimes they are razor sharp!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Johnny B5.5 said:
Looks like the shark bit off more than he could chew.
LMAO :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts