Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breakaway wipers!

Had my hood up, trying to shovel out the loads of "spinner" (maple seeds) that have ended up in all the nooks and crannies, concentrated below the windshield.

Well, I lifted the driver-side wiper--yes, you can with the hood up, it is under the hood at that point-- to get some out of the trim below it, and then proceeded with the rest of the shoveling in the corners. You see where this is going, right?

Right. Closed the hood with the wiper up. Loud pop sound, and the wiper falls back in place, whoops. Dang! Yep, nothing happens when the wipers turned on.

Turns out the arms are connected to a ball joint, and the passenger side connector holds the driver's side down. It was hard to get to, and required using a chisel to help me push down hard enough, but it popped back finally. Only lost a few square centimeters of skin from my right arm shoving it back there, but it's all good now....

Just my typical luck... :weirdo:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
You'd be suprised to learn of what OTHER breakaway items Passats have, when confronted by the proper encouragement.

Stuff like wheels, doors, mirrors, etc....

Try it and see!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Yeah, i did it the other way around. After washing/drying my car (of course had the wipers up) I wanted to clean inside the engine. The wipers did not come off but chunk of paint on the edge of the hood did. :mad: I think that is worst that breaking the wipers

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Sharky said:
You'd be suprised to learn of what OTHER breakaway items Passats have, when confronted by the proper encouragement.

Stuff like wheels, doors, mirrors, etc....

Try it and see!
:lol: *snerk* :lol:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
veedubyo said:
Yeah, i did it the other way around. After washing/drying my car (of course had the wipers up) I wanted to clean inside the engine. The wipers did not come off but chunk of paint on the edge of the hood did. :mad: I think that is worst that breaking the wipers
Yep, I've performed this version too....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
passaturbonium
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing