Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but...

If i floor it (I don't often but if I do :p ), the pedal goes all the way to the floor, car shoots off, etc. you know the deal. But today, I pushed a bit harder and the pedal seemed to go maybe an inch farther, but it felt kinda unnatural, the RPM's also spiked wicked high (way over redline). Startled, I let off the gas immediately and it slowly unwound, coming back to normal, but I didn't know what the hell happened. The feeling was that I pushed the pedal farther than it's supposed to go. Or is this normal? It worries me, because I feel if I ever had to slam down on the pedal I might end up pushing it too far (this far) and damage the engine without getting anywhere.

Also, I didn't hold it long enough to see if there was a definite speed increase, scared the shit outta me. Ah yes, its an 03 (B5.5 sedan) 1.8t with 11k miles on it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
dat' dere' be the Kickdown switch. it is Supposed to do that :lol:
i love it!! when iam in Tip mode, it will do a 2 gear downshift Lickitty Split! :shock:

·
Registered
272 Posts
well, in "normal" driving, ie-"D" when you press the pedal to the floor, and push down the switch, you activated the 2 gear downshift. basically, it drops down 2 gears, and either Rockets you forward like all hell. or it just winds the Crap outta the engine, making everyone look at you :crazy: .

you just have to practice using it. and dont be afraid, our cars LOVE to have fun too!!

in tiptronic mode, ie-go to "D" and then push over to the right. Yannow,the up-down thingie with the plus and minus indicators. say yer in 5th, and you push down go-go pedal all the way? yousa get 3rd gear! lotso fun. and it gets you 2 gears down quicker than just changin it yerself. the fun starts here,hehe
Say you wanna pull around a corner like a banshee, and yer in forth, just Quickly tap the kickdown, and Viola :weirdo: yer in Second, just ready for the Outta corner press of the pedal.

ok, iam dork, but i was born that way, i think......... Have Fun!!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do I hold the switch in? can anyone else confirm what robert is saying? Does it have a failsafe so I don't blow up my engine? =P

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do I hold the switch in? can anyone else confirm what robert is saying? Does it have a failsafe so I don't blow up my engine? =P

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Just press down on the pedal when you need to pass someone for instance. You will get that instant boost which is combo of your turbo spooling and the tranny kicking down. You cannot over rev the engine - of course there are failsafes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
Wapptor
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing