Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find the "Cruise" light in the dashboard control cluster very distracting. In every other car I've been in, the "Cruise" indicator light comes on not when Cruise Control is switched on but only when it is "engaged." Hence, you set the Cruise speed and the light comes on... you hit the brake or push in clutch and the light goes off... you hit Resume and the light comes on again.
I'm sure there's no way to get the "Cruise" indicator light to function in that way :???:, but is it then at least possible to disable the cruise indicator light altogether? (Lemme guess... black electrical tape? :p)

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Well why don't you turn it off until you need it? It's not really a big deal to turn it on I think.

On the few other cars I've seen the cruise light always remained on when the switch is on without engaging. On my old POS Camry as well as my GF's 00 Accord, so I'm assuming Japanese cars are similar to the Passat in that regard - which cars are you refering to?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
My 98 Honda only activates the light on the dash when the cruise is actually engaged.... :weirdo:

If you don't want it, can I have it? We'll just swap clusters. Mine only has 44k on it. :p

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
stealthx32 said:
My 98 Honda only activates the light on the dash when the cruise is actually engaged.... :weirdo:
Weird so I was wrong about all Japanese cars but the Accord we had definitely stayed lit without engaging, then again we only used it like 3 times in the 3 years we had it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
RL331 said:
stealthx32 said:
Weird so I was wrong about all Japanese cars but the Accord we had definitely stayed lit without engaging, then again we only used it like 3 times in the 3 years we had it.
Our 1993 Nissan truck has two lights - one to tell you the switch is on and the other when cruise was engaged. I wish I had the 'engaged' light on our 2000.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I feel somewhat attacked. :(
FYI: The "Cruise" indicator light in the cluster is new in 2002. My previous vehicles all had cruise control where the indicator light only came on when it was engaged. So, that's what I got used to. Well, in the Honda civic (7th generation), there is also an LED on the "On" button as well. The cruise control controls :eek: are the most inconvenient I've used, with the possible exception of an aftermarket I added to my Hyundai Accent; so I dislike being resigned to turning it off (which feels like turning it off twice to me) in order to make the light go away.
It simply seems ridiculous to have the light come up when it's not engaged. The dash cluster should be for things that really need your attention. "Hey bud, don't forget you have ASR off." "Hey stupid, the lid is open still." etc.
It's just my preference, so thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
329 Posts
- Jweaks -
I feel the same way. On my 00 there is no light which I like, and on my wifes 04 it has the damm cruise light which drives me nuts. Any information on how to disable it would be great from the group. Any thoughts?

Ryan

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
jweaks said:
Wow, I feel somewhat attacked. :(
FYI: The "Cruise" indicator light in the cluster is new in 2002. My previous vehicles all had cruise control where the indicator light only came on when it was engaged. So, that's what I got used to. Well, in the Honda civic (7th generation), there is also an LED on the "On" button as well. The cruise control controls :eek: are the most inconvenient I've used, with the possible exception of an aftermarket I added to my Hyundai Accent; so I dislike being resigned to turning it off (which feels like turning it off twice to me) in order to make the light go away.
It simply seems ridiculous to have the light come up when it's not engaged. The dash cluster should be for things that really need your attention. "Hey bud, don't forget you have ASR off." "Hey stupid, the lid is open still." etc.
It's just my preference, so thought I'd ask.
It's nothing personal. Really just a bit of friendly ribbing since you missed the huge debates when the introduction of the CC light was first announced. Many people, myself included, expressed the same feelings as yours--illuminate only when engaged.

fwiw: my '90 Accord had an LED on the CC button that was always on, but it was obscured by the steering wheel thanks to the way I happened to adjust my seat and wheel; and the indicator in the instrument cluster only illuminated when the CC was engaged.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2002 Civic works the same way. I don't mind the LED on the "On" button, since I can't even see it, but more imporantly, since it's not on the I-sorta-need-your-immediate-attention control cluster. Incidentally, I did read the forum topic discussion of '02 which was primarily on the issue of whether it was ok to leave it on all the time. The complaints regarding the clumsy stick controls and the indicator light were only tangential. Still, I posted my original question on that topic first, trying not to create unneeded topics (especially since I'm new around here). It got no responses after a week, so I posted here.
I figure, with all the clever solutions I've seen on the forums so far, someone might have worked this one out. :shrug:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Cruise light

I could argue why you would want a "CRUISE" light in the first place, as its pretty clear when the system is engaged or not, and who cares if it is or isn't? It doesn't interfere with your driving anyway. If you need to stop, steer, accellerate it doesn't affect you, so why have a useless idiot light even saying its on? (Any harm in leaving it on always? no)

However, my BIGGEST beef with the "CRUISE" light is that someone didn't think about its placement very well. It happens to be right in the once place on the tachometer where it gets covered up under normal use! At freeway speeds, the tach sits exactly over the top of my "CRUISE" light. With everything thing else so well thought out in our German cars, this just seems such an oversight. Just move it an inch down or to the right and it would have been fine!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think it was designed to light up when you switch on the cruse button to let the driver know that it is capable of going in to automatic cruse. Since the set button is on the steering wheel, a driver could accidently engage the cruse when in traffic witch could cause a accident. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Cruise light

I could argue why you would want a "CRUISE" light in the first place
You would have no argument from me. I totally agree. My original question (which noone has addressed) is regarding disabling the "Cruise" light altogether.

However, my BIGGEST beef with the "CRUISE" light is that someone didn't think about its placement very well. It happens to be right in the once place on the tachometer where it gets covered up under normal use!
That's funny you posted this, because I just noticed this tonight, and it added fuel to my fire. I guess that eliminates my electrical tape idea. :wink:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I agree that the light would make more sense if it went on when the cruise control is engaged, instead of with the switch.

I find this discussion a bit amusing, because on my '00 New Beetle (1.8T, 5-sp), and apparently on all NB's (maybe it's changed with the newer models) the cruise control light didn't work at all. On the NB discussion boards I followed, the owners were always trying to figure out how to get it to work -- just the opposite of this thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts