Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a B5.5 01.5 passat and am installing my HID's very soon i was wondering what the best way to disable my DRL's was i have heard of a couple different ways.
1) remove relay 173 But i have heard of some negatives to this being that it darkens the parking brake indicator light on the instrument panel.

2) Remove the light switch by turning it off, pressing it in, then turning clockwise and pulling out. Take the switch off the wiring connector to reveal a set of metal tabs.Then taping over pin B to disable the DRL when the light switch is in the OFF position.

Which have you done and have you had any problems doing so?

Thanks

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
For HIDs don't you have to remove the relay anyway? I did for the Hella OEMs on my B5 but maybe that is only for OEM HIDs.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
why not keep the DRL and have the hids on all the time :cool:
DRLs run at half power, they won't work with HIDs. If you do leave them in their, like I did on the first couple days I installed my kit, they flicker for about 2 minutes on start up.

EDIT: Wow...just realized this was my 666th post....

·
Registered
314 Posts
And then have to buy new capsules when they burn out? Way too $$$ at $95 each.
I beg to differ... about them blowing out. I've got the Hella OEM HID's running as my DRL for two years now on my 2K B5 with not issues what ever. My buddy owns a Tourag and they all run with their HID as DRL's as standard operation. I will needed to do a minor mod on the wiring in the passenger kick panel to have them come on though at every sart up.

I liked the safety of DRL's and wanted to keep that feature after I upgraded to the HID's. I had concerns soon after installation of early failures but after two years I have no concerns if one blows now as lamps will eventually fail.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Ok i have a B5.5 01.5 passat and am installing my HID's very soon i was wondering what the best way to disable my DRL's was i have heard of a couple different ways.
1) remove relay 173 But i have heard of some negatives to this being that it darkens the parking brake indicator light on the instrument panel.
Who fed you that crap?

2) Remove the light switch by turning it off, pressing it in, then turning clockwise and pulling out. Take the switch off the wiring connector to reveal a set of metal tabs.Then taping over pin B to disable the DRL when the light switch is in the OFF position.
Why bother when this can BREAK that pin off?

Which have you done and have you had any problems doing so?

Thanks
I pulled the relay on my 99 B5 and my 04.5 B5.5 and it worked great on both.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Another option is to bypass the resistance wire that gives lower voltage for the stock DRL mode, and keeping the DRL function. There's a writeup on here somewhere, but all you do is put a jumper in a plug behind the passenger kick panel. I did it on my car in under 20 min.

It's all completely based on what you want. The relay is simple to remove, and is easily reversable without dealing w/tape residue. The resistance wire bypass is slightly more complicated, but gives you the ability to keep DRL mode if yo want it.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
My buddy owns a Tourag and they all run with their HID as DRL's as standard operation. I will needed to do a minor mod on the wiring in the passenger kick panel to have them come on though at every sart up.
Touaregs don't fire up at 75 or 80 percent either. BIG difference. What mod do you need to do? If you have DRLs you shouldn't have to do anything to get them to fire up. [/quote]

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Touaregs don't fire up at 75 or 80 percent either. BIG difference. What mod do you need to do? If you have DRLs you shouldn't have to do anything to get them to fire up.
[/QUOTE]
There's some mod out there so you can have your DRLs running at 100% (as to not screw up HIDs). I don't see the point though, thats why i have a headlight switch :)

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
question

if you disable your DRL's, do you have to have a euroswitch to turn on and off your light?

sorry noob question but i was just wondering that

1 - 20 of 24 Posts