Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to format a CD-RW on DirectCD from Roxio. I do the full format but it is supposed to take 25-45 minutes but it is continually formatting for more than an hour. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong because this happens on every machine I have at work. I'm using Sony discs.

Anyone have experience in this? I need the RWs so I can drag and drop for the class I teach at school. Please help - it's quite annoying.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
How fast are your RW burners. I've notice that WindowsXP and NERO format CD-RW's faster than Roxio. Have you updated to the current patch of EZ-CD Creator? The only reason I use Roxio is to burn ISO's to CD's, but I normally use Nero. Also, I only use TEAC or Plextor burners.. :D

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The burners are like 1 year and half old so I'm guessing they are 32 read and 4-8 write - rewrite. I have the most current Roxio patch for version 5. The burners I have here are NEC - I heard Teac is good, but it's just frustrating ya know. I can ruin many a CD-RW this way.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
RL331 said:
The burners are like 1 year and half old so I'm guessing they are 32 read and 4-8 write - rewrite. I have the most current Roxio patch for version 5. The burners I have here are NEC - I heard Teac is good, but it's just frustrating ya know. I can ruin many a CD-RW this way.
I had this exact same problem! I wanted to back up some files to CD and it wanted to take 10 hours! I ended up going to a faster 52x CDRW IIRC and all my problems went away. Picked one up from http://store.yahoo.com/directron/cd---storage-cd-rewritable.html fairly inexpensively. It was an OEM package (so no CD, just the drive and cable since I didn't need the extra bundled junk).

Good luck!

/karl

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SpecialKDog1 said:
RL331 said:
I had this exact same problem! I wanted to back up some files to CD and it wanted to take 10 hours! I ended up going to a faster 52x CDRW IIRC and all my problems went away. Picked one up from http://store.yahoo.com/directron/cd---storage-cd-rewritable.html fairly inexpensively. It was an OEM package (so no CD, just the drive and cable since I didn't need the extra bundled junk).

Good luck!

/karl
Do you mean you had problems formatting or just burning? I have no problems burning.

·
0 Posts
kick that direct cd to the curb and use nero, it has a drive test as well!

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Stevo!!! Funny thing is that I decided to try another brand of CD-RW...the TDK disks and guess what - YES they work fine in 28 minutes I got a perfectly formatted CD. So the question is, why does that happen??? I was tearing my nicely trimmed hair out and wated 6 Sony CDs...ARGH!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts