Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear I saw a thread in here that showed someone installing a DIN sized piece in the center armrest. i tried running a search to no avail. If anyone knows what i am talking about, could you point me in the right direction?

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
I dont know what thread you are talking about, but yes it is a DIN size, but certain things wont work there because they would have to be inverted and wouldnt be able to lay horizontal. You CAN mount things like the VW 6-Disc Changer there though :thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
The whole thing just comes out as one piece. Just pull the coin/junk "bucket" out.
Unfortunately, my carpc is slightly wider than the changer pictured above, otherwise it would make a perfect fit.
Watch out for hand brake in there - do NOT run wires right over it. with time they may get trepped inside the spring and BOOM! - electric fire.
You can also access power source inside that bin. Rear seat plug gets its power from there.
Has anyone here cut the bin to make it a little wider? I really want to fit my pc in there.
What about climate control (glx model)? Is it possible to rewire it in there?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there - i'm in the process of removing both the Gamma head unit and the dashmounted CD changer, but am loathed to go to a boot mounted one (mine doesn't even seem to have a provision for this in the boot)

I DO have the DIN space in the centre console.

My question is this, have you fitted the dashmounted unit in that space, and is it ok to operate i.e. at 90 degrees from the angle intended?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, and thanks in advance of any help!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I put a Farenheit Mobile DVD player in my console, works like a champ, doesn't skip either. Just make sure whatever you use is Vaccuum load. In some devices the only way to really know is to install it and try it out, that's the gamble I took with my DVD player, and was VERY happy when it worked. I still have to cut the little change cup and reinstall it, but otherwise it slips right in.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Nope, no kit needed, it's DIN sized, so you should be able to drop pretty much any DIN head unit or accessory in there. Just need to run your wires as all you really have back there is a 12volt line from the power plug in the console, and ground.

Edit: This assumes you have a B5.5, if you have a B5, you'll probably have to replace the entire center console (which has also been done)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks - my new sat nav unit now occupies both DIN's on the dashboard, so the CD will need to go in there now!

My dealer is ordering the wiring for me (as it's the same as the new Beetle) so should be in a position to have navi and CD's :)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
enigma1992 said:
Thanks - my new sat nav unit now occupies both DIN's on the dashboard, so the CD will need to go in there now!

My dealer is ordering the wiring for me (as it's the same as the new Beetle) so should be in a position to have navi and CD's :)
How do you know that the wiring is the same as the new beetle?

Unless you use a new beetle CD Changer, I think the connectors are different. Don't know what the headunit end of the wiring would look like. The Sat Headunit uses the slightly older 8 pin connector if I reacall correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mr_Mike said:

Unless you use a new beetle CD Changer, I think the connectors are different. Don't know what the headunit end of the wiring would look like. The Sat Headunit uses the slightly older 8 pin connector if I reacall correctly.
I don't - i've been told this by my local dealer, although I can't see why it won't work. The beetle uses the same in-dash 6 disc autocanger that my passat has, so the wiring is the same but longer to allow for connectivity to the centre arm rest.

The navi unit connections are the same for CD as my Gamma unit, so no problems there.

http://www.passatowners.com/po/forums/showthread.php?t=62

They should have the parts ready for me next weekend so assuming all goes well, i'll be able to post some pics of the results! :D

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
enigma1992 said:
Mr_Mike said:

I don't - i've been told this by my local dealer, although I can't see why it won't work. The beetle uses the same in-dash 6 disc autocanger that my passat has, so the wiring is the same but longer to allow for connectivity to the centre arm rest.

The navi unit connections are the same for CD as my Gamma unit, so no problems there.

http://www.passatowners.com/po/forums/showthread.php?t=62

They should have the parts ready for me next weekend so assuming all goes well, i'll be able to post some pics of the results! :D

The new beetle changer is unique. The connector is different. It fits neither the Single DIN Passat headunit or the Double DIN headunit. I think the connector is the same as the trunk connector, but I can't confirm this.

The "normal" solution is to source a German 6 disk in-dash CD changer and an extension cable for a blaupunkt IDC-A09 Cd changer. (VW uses Blaupunkt connectors so this cable works.)

If the new beetle changer uses the trunk connector, you could get a trunk changer wiring harness and you would just have a large bundle to wad up and hide.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Anyone have the link handy to the website that lists all the parts required to do the early :b5: to the later :b5: centre console ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mr Mike you have been 100% correct on this. The beetle connection is unique, so i'm in the process of buying a beetle autochanger from ebay.de from a German fella to work with my unit.

I'm worried about the odd bits of text on the internet that say a dashmounted unit cannot reliably function upright...

Thanks for your wisdom on this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts