Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to replace my ANCIENT Canon Powershot 350. I got it for my birthday from my wife in 1997! We were in Japan at the time and it only cost $150. Sears in the US was selling them for $400 at the time. Anway, Here are the two cameras I'm considering but I'd take suggestions also. I prefer a small camera that's easy to carry around. Here are the two I'm thinking about:

Canon Powershot S400

Olympus C-740UZ

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
If size is of matter to you then the Canon S400 is the bomb :thumbup:

And if size is really what you are going for then take a look at the Casio EXILIM EX-Z4U. One of the smallest 4 megger (about same foot print as the credit card) with the largest LCD (2") of any compact digi-cam. I am looking into getting this one myself.

http://exilim.casio.com/z4umodel.htm

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have the Olympus. The main reason I bought it was for the optical zoom. You may want to also look at the Fujifilm FinePix S5000 Z or S7000. It should be around the same price as the Oly or the Canon. The Oly takes great pictures. It has a wonderful macro setting combined with a long zoom. It meets about 80-90% of my needs in regards to digi vs. film.

DPReview specs.

Fuji FinePix S7000

DPReview specs

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Sony is definately out because of its lack of an optical zoom. Never though of an HP, it's alittle large but the price is good. I'll have to see if I can find some reviews out there on the web.

Small size that's easy to carry is important. Our film camera is a Canon Ixy (Elph model in Japan). I don't want carrying things to get in the way of vacations and such. Looked into the Casio just now. Found some folks who traded it in for the S400 and weren't thrilled with the picture quality.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I have an HP Photosmart 850 that I like. Got it on sale for 400 bucks. 8 time optical zoom, 4.1 mega pixels, etc. My only complaint is that most affordable digitals are slow, so it's hard to take action pics and the HP eats batteries. I keep the recharable ones handy.

·
0 Posts
I have the HP Photosmart 935, its great i wish the grip was more substantial, and it could use a extended sight, and it does much better with rechargables batteries! :thumbup:

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
I was thinking of getting this:

Panasonic/Lumix DMC-FZ10

(12X Zoom!!!)

or wait for this:

Canon Powershot Pro 1

(Canon L-Series Lens!!!)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
We have an S400 and love it! It is an outstanding camera. The pictures are excellent, it is very easy to use, and obviously is very compact. Of course the camera has to meet what your needs are. For us, this one is perfect. I recommended it to a buddy and he decided to get one too. He also is very happy with the camera.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I'd say spend the money... and go with a professional digital SLR from Canon. The EOS line in particular. They have a new one out that's just under a $1,000 for the body. for $200 more, you get a lens and some acessory kit.

Well worth the money IMO. That's what I'll be getting next.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I just bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-P92 5.0 Megapixel. Here are a few sample pics from Hawaii (re-sized)...

I think they come out pretty well and the camera is nice and compact. If you go to a Ritz camera, you can make digital prints that are better quality than film prints...they do an incredible job, but it's also like $3 a pic.

I think this CyberShot goes for $350 at Circuit City.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Digital prints @ CVS are 29 cents. :shock:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I have the Canon S400 and I love it. 4 Mega pixels and for its compact size nothing beats it

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
Here are some more online resources.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en

I purchased a digital camera in December after haunting these (and other) sites for a couple of months, soaking up all the info I could. I chose an Olympus C-5060W for my use after considering the Canon Powershot G5 and the Nikon Coolpix 5400, but I had different parameters than you. It's pretty darn hard to go wrong with cameras from Canon or Olympus. Mess around with them as much as you can in a good camera shop & then buy online to save money.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts