Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just bought a new Sony MinDV camcorder and a new Dell computer with Firewire. How does he go about getting the video from his camcorder into his computer? Is it plug and play? Does he need a cable or software that does not come with the camera?

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
You got it...you need a cable (4-pin to 4-pin IEEE1394/Firewire) and some sort of Video software. I use a mac so it's fairly easy....I just hock the camcorder up to the mac and iMovie pops up and starts you on your way to downloading the new clips. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought maybe XP had some sort of basic video editing software.

I helped him order his computer and camera and he got a Dell, 3.08 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB HD, 128 MB GeForce Video, 5.1 sound card. I figure that's got plenty of balls for video editing.

Camera is a Sony DCR-TRV 70.

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Wait a minute....I think you're right, though you might have to download it or something even though it's free. Check out their website. Goodluck!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
for video capture there is no other driver or anything he needs, Except for some software and the cable, probably about $30US for a decent 6ft one. for software i use Microsoft Movie Maker 2, which is the free download from M$, although XP comes with Movie Maker (1), i used it for a sec after i got used to the new version and the old version sucks bad.

in a nutshell, hook it up, pull up MM2 (if it doesn't come up automatically), then click on the File menu and the Capture Movie item, wizard comes up and walks you through the rest. it captures at "tape speed", 1 hour of video capture takes an hour.

i realized on the first day that 120GB was not enough :( one mini-dv tape is about 12GB saved as DV-AVI (which can be edited and put back on the tape if you want) so now i've got 2 of those 120s. my first computer had 1.2GB, my 2nd now has 240GB lol....

and the stuff is processor intensive, i've never seen it go over 300MB ram usage during movie capture/edit/save/play operations but it'll peg the CPU at 100% for a couple of hours while it renders an hour of video...

have fun!

edit: if he got a cable with the camera it's probably a USB cable for the still pictures, assuming it has that option, that will not work for video, AFAIK.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I checked what came with the camera and it is just a USB cable. On his computer I think it will be a 6 pin firewire and if so I think I will need a 4 pin to 6 pin cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts