Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i got a gold clay bar from autozone

it was kinda of hot out that day so im sure that may have had something to do with it

but i would spray a area about 2x2 and take the bar and rub back and forth giving a little downward pressure

and then i would let it dry and buff it off with a fine rag

but 1) it didnt look much diiffrent and
2 ) when i was done i could see phantom strokes only at a certian angle and it looked more like stuff that didnt buff off rather than clay bar

it was only at a spesific angle could you see it and then only in the shade and then only a little

any suggestions as to what i may have done wrong

also WHAT is the lubercante spray made of is it just soap water or is tehre something a little more to it than t hat

also where can i get JUST clay

the pack i got had wax and toher stuff and cost 13 bucks for what i think was a small amount of wax

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Yeah, the kits usually are a clay bar kit with a "sample" of their wax. I have had good success with mothers.

Anyway, when denver pat taught me how to clay bar, it was wash the heck out of the car. Then spray the detailing spray in a section and with light pressure run the flattened claybar. if the claybar feels like it's sticking you aren't using enough spray.

I would think that doing it in high heat would have a negative effect.

You might want to wash the car one more time and then you need to wax it since there shouldn't be any wax lef ton the car after washing and clay baring.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
gietl said:
Yeah, the kits usually are a clay bar kit with a "sample" of their wax. I have had good success with mothers.

Anyway, when denver pat taught me how to clay bar, it was wash the heck out of the car. Then spray the detailing spray in a section and with light pressure run the flattened claybar. if the claybar feels like it's sticking you aren't using enough spray.

You might want to wash the car one more time and then you need to wax it since there shouldn't be any wax lef ton the car after washing and clay baring.
Since when did claying strip your wax? :suspicio: Also use car wash shampoo. QD spray is way too expensive to use for claying.

·
Registered
66 Posts
julianfang said:
the best way to see if the clay bar worked is to run your hand gently over an unclay barred area vs. a clay barred area. That's where you'll really FEEL the difference...
Put a plastic sandwich bag over your hand then lightly stroke the car. :shock: lol You'll be amazed at what you will feel then. Before claying, it will feel like sandpaper. Afterwards, glass.

BE SURE to follow up with a polish then wax.

d

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
AgVWB5 said:
Dumb question - does the clay bar (over time) reduce the thickness of the clearcoat? I'd think it would.
No it doesn't .. and normal clay frequency *might* be twice a year. Clay pulls contaminants from the paint .. it doesn't erode it. A light abrasve cleaner wax will erode more clear than clay.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Jesstzn said:
No it doesn't .. and normal clay frequency *might* be twice a year. Clay pulls contaminants from the paint .. it doesn't erode it. A light abrasve cleaner wax will erode more clear than clay.
Ok, got it. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
julianfang said:
antwrig - car wash shampoo instead of QD spray????? doesn't seem to make sense...

hehe...he said "stroke the car" hehe
It makes perfect sense. The QD spray is used for one thing and that is lubercation for the clay bar to slide. So instead of using the QD use Car wash shampoo. I have been doing it for years and have had no problems.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
does anyone recommend a certain clay bar, or just any one that you can find at autozone or pepboys, cause they are car people

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
I like the Clay Magic and Meguiar's bars. I usually use whatever I can find at the time. The bars usually last as long as the spray in the bottle so I just get a new bar/spray kit each time. I also park outside so if youpark inside you'll have less contaminants to pull off.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
AntWrig said:
gietl said:

Since when did claying strip your wax? :suspicio: Also use car wash shampoo. QD spray is way too expensive to use for claying.
I never said that. I said there should be no wax after washing and clay baring, I was assuming you were detailing the car, why would you claybar without the intention of finishing the detailing job?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I always have used MOTHER'S CLAY BAR KIT
Alright heres the process:
1. take off old wax with dish soap
2. CLAY BAR
3. Polish (if you choose to do so)
4. WAX
5. repeat wax if you see fit

* If you clay bar over wax it will take it off, kind of :crazy: to do it over wax.*

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Curry said:
* If you clay bar over wax it will take it off, kind of :crazy: to do it over wax.*

Hope this helps.
This is simply not true. I have "spot" clayed hundreds of times over wax and I have never once taken it off. If a particular area is not smooth anymore I pull out the clay bar and smooth it out.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
AntWrig said:
Curry said:

Hope this helps.
This is simply not true. I have "spot" clayed hundreds of times over wax and I have never once taken it off. If a particular area is not smooth anymore I pull out the clay bar and smooth it out.
It keeps your wax on there? I've always been told to wax again if I clay over wax... :???:

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Curry said:
AntWrig said:
Curry said:

Hope this helps.
It keeps your wax on there? I've always been told to wax again if I clay over wax... :???:
Because it smooths out the finish. When you clay the wax surface is imperfect decause of all of the debris.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i did check it and it was pretty damn smooth

i think the QD stuff was drying up to quick for me to do this right

again is there a place were i can get a big bar of the stuff

( if i got it big enogh ( flat enogh) could i slap it on the bottom of my random orbit buffer?

as long as i manned the lub good

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I clayed my car today over a looong lunch break ;) I did it slowly, a 1/2 panel at a time to make sure that A) I did it right, and B) that I kept things lubricated. The heat makes the lube just dry on the car, which is not a good thing, so be sure you're either in the shade, or the sun's not beating down on it. You should feel the clay removing impurities, but it shoudl not be sticking to the car.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
crash893 said:
i did check it and it was pretty damn smooth

i think the QD stuff was drying up to quick for me to do this right

again is there a place were i can get a big bar of the stuff

( if i got it big enogh ( flat enogh) could i slap it on the bottom of my random orbit buffer?

as long as i manned the lub good
Not a good plan. The idea is to lightly move the clay across the surface. If you put it on the buffer and pick up a bit of grit your in for a bazillion swirld before you know it.

I can clay a mid sized sedan in 15 minutes if I do it after the wash using a water/ washsoap spritz or a wash mitt above where I am claying ..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
12 Participants
Jesstzn
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing