Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to changing my Valve Cover Gasket today, as I've been smelling the little whifs of burnt oil in the cabin for a while now.

I also replaced my cabin filter too, thank god I did, as I don't think the original owner even replaced it once :eek:h:

Ah well, here's what she looks like half exposed :D

Original owner used Dino by the looks of it, so there were some deposits leftover from a few years of driving...

However, a crap load of Simple Green, a bunch of Brake Clean, and a 1/4 pint of blood lost from all the sharp machined aluminium edges and it looks like this now :D

Here's the nastay cabin filter too :eek:

Now that that's all done, i've got one CV boot to replace and my car will be good as new !!

Thanks is in order to Taligent X for his nice little write-up on doing this :thumbup: it was a good reference piece.
http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/valvecovergasket.html

Cheers :beer:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Job Well Done!

I'll be looking for an update on the new gaskets fixing the smell. I am waiting for the stink to annoy me into replacing the gaskets.

You've got my curiousity on the cabin filter. Where is it located? After four years I'm sure it's ugly...

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
The cabin filter is just forward of the firewall near the middle of the car towards the left. You need to remove or at least cock aside the cover around your battery to get to it.

3 minute job including unboxing the filter!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pfstig said:
You've got my curiousity on the cabin filter. Where is it located? After four years I'm sure it's ugly...
It's located to the passenger side of the battery basically.

Once you undo that single Philips head screw on the top the cover just pulls towards the front of the car and it leave the filter exposed. A quick yank and the old one pops out

S_Klass said:
Wow, good job, you could EAT off that!
Yikes, that filter is filthy!
:lol: My hand was actually going kind of tingly from the brake clean getting into the cuts on my fingers and knuckles :nervous:

I got one bad one on my pointer finger when i was cleaning one of the long straight edges, I lost my concentration and pressed hard and pushed the rag along, next thing I know i'm bleeding pretty badly, lol like an aluminum paper cut!

Ah well, it's all good :beer:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O22Ripper said:
How long did it take to replace the gasket? Toughness 1-10?

Thanks
Difficulty to replace the Valve Cover Gasket 2-3 for the not so mechanically inclined, and like a 1 for anyone who's done anything under the hood before :D

Take a look at TaligentX's write-up, it'll help you through it easily:
http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/valvecovergasket.html

The hardest part by far for this job was the cleanin of the Valve Cover.

If the cover would have had no deposits on it, it would've taken maybe 30 mins to have the Cover off, old gasket out and mating surfaces cleaned, new gasket in with some RTV sealant, and the cover back on.

If you have any whifs of burnt oil in the cabin every now and then, by all means change your V.C gasket, it's real easy :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
passaturbonium said:
Did you change your camseal gasket also? I guess thats the cause of most valve cover leaks on our cars.......write up would be nice too;)
No I didn't get around to changing the camshaft oil seals, i don't think there is any leaking oil from them so I didn't bother :D

I'm working on a write-up, should be done by the end of the week :thumbup:

:beer:

·
Registered
322 Posts
ACraig said:
passaturbonium said:
Did you change your camseal gasket also? I guess thats the cause of most valve cover leaks on our cars.......write up would be nice too;)
No I didn't get around to changing the camshaft oil seals, i don't think there is any leaking oil from them so I didn't bother :D

I'm working on a write-up, should be done by the end of the week :thumbup:

:beer:
Well my dealer tought soo. He changed, cam seal , valve cover gasket and cam adjuster seal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts