Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took the car to a dealer (optimism springs eternal) about multiple known issues...possible control arm failure, leaky oil cooler coolant line...

Keep in mind I have an extended warranty purchased from a VW dealer at time of new-car purchase.

As I'm about to hand over the keys, the guy wants me to *sign* that I'll pay them an ~$100 diagnostic fee more or less if they feel like charging me that.

I said, "I don't pay diagnostic fees," and walked out.

When any car is in their custody, they have an opportunity to upsell additional service. Where is this diagnostic fee crap coming from? Are they flooded with undiagnosable issues so much that they really can't make money stiffing my warranty provider to the tune of $869 for a single control arm, like they did the last time?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Every time I have taken my car to the stealership they charged me $70 each time for diagnostics. The scanned my car before and after every repair they did. I ended up with a $280 charge on the bill for diagnostic scanning.

I bought a VAG that same day and only go to the dealer for emergency parts and maintainence items.

I feel your pain, a warranty should cover all this IMO. Check to see if yours does or just take the car to Autozone and get the codes then tell the dealer what to fix if you have to go there.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
man thats a serious charge, they only charge me 20$ canadian to put the diagnostic tool on mine :suspicio: :crazy:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Is it the diagnostic charge or the deductible for the extended warantee? I know that after 50k miles I have a $100 copayment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Beavis
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing