Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car drove fine on the way to work today. After work, I got in, backed out, and started driving, but the car didn't accelerate. I pushed the gas a few times, but it would only go 1-3 mph.

Then, the engine started shaking, and I lost power and pulled over to the side of the road. The car will start, but only idle roughly for a few seconds, and it can't move forward. Then, the CEL comes on, and it dies.

From my searches in this forum, it sounds like a garden-variety case of bad Ignition Control Module. I'd love to save a tow-and-diagnostic at a mechanic, so I'll buy a replacement ICM and just change it myself, if that's the case. Obviously I'd like to not do this if that isn't the problem (and waste the ~$100 on the part).

It's a '99 V6. Is this a part that I could find at an Autozone? Or is it dealer/ mail order only? I'm in Los Angeles (West LA/ Valley), and I'd like to take care of this ASAP (obviously). I've got a '99 V6 with 125k.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
816 Posts
It sounds like its your icm alright. I would get the codes read though, just to be on the safe side. It would suck if its not the icm and you wasted the money. 1stvwparts.com is a good place to get the icm. I'm not sure if autozone will have the part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts