Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Diagnosing Oil Leak at back of engine

6K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  benray20 
#1 ·
So over winter I noticed an oil leak coming from the back of the engine on my 1.8t so i figured that it was the Valve cover gasket or the cam chain tensioner gasket so I replaced them and the half moon about 2 weeks ago and cleaned up the area as best I could. I just checked again recently and there is still a leak on the back of the engine. Any idea what else could be the issue here considering I just replaced the gaskets?

#6 ·
That's just a rubber hose around a metal one. It does look like the valve cover gasket is not properly in place. It should come down over that visible ridge by the half moon. That may be leaking there and at the valve cover as it does not look fully seated.

#8 ·
Since it is only 2 weeks old, the gasket should be fine to re-use, just clean it of all oil and dirt. The CCT should be fine, do not remove it.

#10 ·
So the Oil Leak still is here. It has been slowly leaking for the last 1 yr or so. I am starting to think that maybe my PCV is clogged causing some back pressure to bust the seal or maybe my cam seals. Any way to diagnose is it is PCV related or Cam seal related?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.