Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
yea the alternator is intermittent so most likely just the bushings...i thought i remembered reading that you can't open up those alternators too well but i haven't looked too into it...i was just thinking, take it off and bring it to an alternator shop and see if they'd replace the bushings

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Not the bushings, but the Carbon "brushes". Incidentally, in the early days of electric motors and generators, the brushes were actually brass wire brushes. It didn't take to long to discover that Graphite was a much better solution.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The alternator is certainly a service position job, probably an hour off and an hour on or so. But the alternator may just need worn-out brushes replaced. Those cost me $4 for a set of the appropriate motor brushes, plus a bit of soldering and sanding to
Did this as well on my 05 1.8 manual wagon's alternator. Remove the old brushes, took them in to a starter/alternator shop to get the right size and the dude just handed them over for nothing. Soldered them in and it's been fine for 3 years and counting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not the bushings, but the Carbon "brushes". Incidentally, in the early days of electric motors and generators, the brushes were actually brass wire brushes. It didn't take to long to discover that Graphite was a much better solution.

ha! sorry that was a typo - i meant to type brushes

21 - 24 of 24 Posts