Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have 2001 V6 glx....i have a misfire in #3 only - i already swapped 3 with 5 and it didn't change after resetting the fault and having it come back - but that's the same spark and coil - can i switch 3 with 4 to see if it changes without it backfiring on and running like complete crap if i do that?

thanks

·
Registered
26,196 Posts
For those that did not figure it out, the V6 coils fire 2 cylinders, so single misfires are never a coil on a V6.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if i ruled out the coil, the injector, the plug, and the wire, I'm pretty much just down to doing a compression check and it's probably a ring or a valve issue - correct? If it were anything else, like a sensor or a vacuum leak (runs ok at idle) i'd have misfires in more than 1 cylinder no?

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
So if i ruled out the coil, the injector, the plug, and the wire, I'm pretty much just down to doing a compression check and it's probably a ring or a valve issue - correct? If it were anything else, like a sensor or a vacuum leak (runs ok at idle) i'd have misfires in more than 1 cylinder no?
If you've 100% ruled out the coil, plug wire, spark plug and injector, assuming all other components to those items are in good working order, (like the wire harness to the injector) then yeah your down to the mechanical workings of the cylinder, valves and rings.
If it were a sensor or vacuum hose leak, the problem would not be isolated to one cylinder.
Unless you had a vacuum leak going to that cylinder only. That could only be caused by a bad manifold to cylinder head seal.
A compression test should yield you a quick answer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sucks... I've had this car 15 years...204k miles, and I thought I'd make it to 300k... Thanks

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
You didn't say that you ruled out the injector, by switching #3 with another cylinder's injector. My '96 2.8 A4 developed a dead cylinder/misfire, switching injectors showed the problem followed it to another cylinder. A refurbished and matched set for about $125 cured it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
For those that did not figure it out, the V6 coils fire 2 cylinders, so single misfires are never a coil on a V6.
hmm on my adopted 02 v6, i had #2 misfire....
plugs, cables, gasket all done...still #2 misfire
swapped sides (on all three coils)...misfire moved
new coil....back to normal sides....no misfire

just sayin'. you know way more than I do, just my experience.

·
Registered
26,196 Posts
I suppose it could have an internal bad connection from the coil to the plug wire, so it is possible, just rare as I had never heard of it before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You didn't say that you ruled out the injector, by switching #3 with another cylinder's injector. My '96 2.8 A4 developed a dead cylinder/misfire, switching injectors showed the problem followed it to another cylinder. A refurbished and matched set for about $125 cured it.

Yes i did do that which is how that's been ruled out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm on my adopted 02 v6, i had #2 misfire....
plugs, cables, gasket all done...still #2 misfire
swapped sides (on all three coils)...misfire moved
new coil....back to normal sides....no misfire

just sayin'. you know way more than I do, just my experience.

and i ruled that out by clearing the code and then swapping the 3 with the 5. still stayed at 3.

🙁

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh ok...yea I'm not the most grammatically correct guy sometimes...but yup, I did rule that out already... definitely can't feel or hear the misfire at idle but I get the stumbling between 1500 and 2000 rpm and once I get past 2000, it runs smooth

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
So...
did you do a compression test yet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i haven't....that's the only thing left and i don't wanna spend the money to have it done so they can tell me that ive got low compression and im better off just buying a new car....am i right in that thinking?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i forgot to mention, after i started this thread, that my alternator is about to take a dump on me now - so there's that now too - so i don't wanna fix that and that im still stuck with this misfire....so overall, im still debating what to do - i can do the alternator myself (after i pull the whole god damn front end off for crying out loud) but should i even bother?

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I would certainly do a compression test before dropping a wad of cash on an alternator. Alternator's are not a cheap date. For a low end Valeo brand your still looking at $230. Anything else is $350 up to $750.

AutoZone or one them chain places has compression testers to rent on the cheap. I would do that.

All this talk of misfire on #3 cylinder only. I assumed early on but never asked.
By any chance is the bank #1 valve cover leaking oil into the cylinder #3 spark plug well?
V6's are known to leak oil into the spark plug wells and short out the wire causing misfire.

·
Registered
26,196 Posts
AutoZone rents for free, but you have to put down a deposit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would certainly do a compression test before dropping a wad of cash on an alternator. Alternator's are not a cheap date. For a low end Valeo brand your still looking at $230. Anything else is $350 up to $750.

AutoZone or one them chain places has compression testers to rent on the cheap. I would do that.

All this talk of misfire on #3 cylinder only. I assumed early on but never asked.
By any chance is the bank #1 valve cover leaking oil into the cylinder #3 spark plug well?
V6's are known to leak oil into the spark plug wells and short out the wire causing misfire.

Nope - clean as a whistle - i wish it was just that....all the blatantly obvious and easy fix type stuff, which i found mostly searching around this forum, has already been ruled out

i do appreciate all of your time - just wanted to throw that out there - ive been coming here for years and it's a great place

i also just bought a new 2019 Jetta SE but im still attached to the ol passat and i really still don't wanna get rid of it....and even i decide to get rid of it, at least maybe i can fix it, and then sell it - but i'd really rather just keep it

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
The alternator is certainly a service position job, probably an hour off and an hour on or so. But the alternator may just need worn-out brushes replaced. Those cost me $4 for a set of the appropriate motor brushes, plus a bit of soldering and sanding to fit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts