Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Detroit Euro Rally - August 10-11

Have you spent a good amount of time and money to make your car drive and handle better? Well, you're probably the exception to the car enthusiast rule these days.

Join this group of car entusiasts that like the sound of squealing rubber over the sound of frames scraping.

The weekend will go as follows:

PORTLAND GROUP:

We'll meetup in the Starbucks @ 10225 Southeast Sunnyside Road, Clackamas, OR 97015 @ 8:30am, get coffee, mill around, make our introductions to one another, etc. Then at 9am sharp we'll hit the road.

The first stop will be at the Carver Hanger for breakfast. For those that don't know, Carver Hanger has good ol' country style food and is a beacon for local Hot Rodders. If it gets too busy, there is another decent breakfast place about a block away.

Those coming from other locations:

You're welcome to follow the schedule for the Portlander group. Although, jumping in at the Rally at the meetup point in Estacada is the only really important part.

We'll then arrive in Estacada at 10:30

Well stage in the Subway parking lot
Google Map of Estacada Subway

Here there will be a driver's meeting at 11:15 and head out at 11:45.

In Estacada please top off the tanks, empty the bladders, and get any last minute road trip supplies needed for the weekend, there are no other places to stop for fuel or food until Detroit, OR

We'll then make the 72.5 mile drive down the Clackamas Highway to Detroit Lake. Almost this entire stretch of road is well paved, twisty, and beautiful.

Here's the map of the route:
Google Map of Route

ABOUT DETROIT, OR

The main strip in Detroit, OR features a very nice, but small motor motel that's been recently renovated. There is a good deal of recent construction. There's a grocery story, gas station, boat marina with rentals, campgrounds, a nice comfortable bar/lounge serving micro brews, pool tables. There are also several restaurants as well as vacation rental property.

SAFETY NOTICES:

1. This rally is a group drive, not a race!

2. The road surface conditions can change without notice. There can be wildlife, downed trees, fallen rocks, or fluke weather conditions on the roadway at any moment. Drive defensively.

3. There will be long stretches of road without cell phone service. Because of this, you are urged to stay clustered with other cars for support. Should you break down, or get into an accident in the middle of the Mt. Hood National Forest, it could be hours before you get help.

4. You'll be a long ways from home. That tow bill will hurt your wallet and take a long time. Drive spirited, but not like you stole it. If your car is in any kind of questionable state, think hard about getting stuck in the woods.

5. Value your life. There are corners on this road that can kill. Lean towards overly cautious because there is no reset button.

6. This is not a slammed/stanced/bagged friendly route. This is not a car show. Think about spinning those coilovers up, you're going to need the suspension travel. If you're holding up traffic because you have to crawl over every little bump, then please find the nearest turnout to let traffic pass.

And most importantly of all!

7. Have fun!

Keep up with event news on Facebook:
Detroit Euro Rally Facebook page

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Rally to DetroitEuro Rally '13

Mmmmmm! I want live in Oregon for the rest of the summer. ;)

OK, those who also think this looks absolutely gobsmacked, I say we meet up at Ben's Chili Bowl in Washington, DC, on Wednesday evening, 9pm, gas up there and top off our fuel tanks on the way outta town down Constitution Avenue, which quickly becomes US route 50 on the other side of the Potomac.

Elapsed time en route to Subway Restaurant near Estacada, OR, 54 hours for the 2,867 miles. We'll cruise with these like-minded Euro chaps for a 72-mile segment and then make the return trip in time to return to work/school/pile of your isht on the front porch steps on, let's say, Wednesday.

No highways. All byways. Mountain pass twisties and rural stretches of dead straight proving ground for every horse you have ever worked to stuff under your bonnet.

Who's with me? :icon_eek:

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Oy, hadn't thought of that.

OK, so the math of this stinks.

Since the SC install, I have a full tank range of about 250 miles. So clowning in a rally train, I might expect to get about 18 miles per gallon. That means I would need to tank up 12 times each way to join the DER'13.

If 93 octane is about $4 nationally on average, and I am going to need about 320 gallons round trip, this is going to cost me about $1,280 in fuel alone.

Oy, hadn't thought of that. Maybe we should stage something like this closer to home? I would probably need to get an oil change on the way back, too. Bank, bank, bank, bank, bank.

:rolleyes:

·
I break for old people
7,533 Posts
There's plenty of mountain roads and valleys in the Northern New Hampshire area. Let's set something up for the end of August before school starts back up for me.

I have a place for a few PW'ers to crash for a night or two if need be at my place.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
Edit: forgot to mention, the last time I was in Detroit was about 8 years ago, but I can confirm that it is a really beautiful route, and the police presence seems to be quite minimal. :driving:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After calling around this morning to see what accommodations are still available, it seems almost all of the town of Detroit is booked for the 10th. There are still a few cabins that are available, but you'll have to call around to find them. And the only campsites left open are down the road a little way.

The window of opportunity is closing. Don't wait any longer.

Available campsites:
Find Campgrounds - ReserveAmerica

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm fairly sure that all the accommodations are booked up for the night. But, there is a good number of people that are just going for the drive and to hang out for awhile in Detroit.

So, if you were on the fence then just come on out for the day, you wont be the only one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts