Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '00 GLS is mechanically sound but the inside is falling apart. I'm not even trying to keep it nice but just to be in a somewhat respectable state.
The main issue is the aged plastic parts. They keep braking. From little pieces inside the door panels, door handles even some dash parts... The junkyard parts are 90% broken (the plastic aged poorly).
The saggy interior cloth and the headliner is not a problem.
Any ideas? Maybe retrofit the B5.5 or B6 panels, I am not sure how feasible that is.

I could draw and 3D print some stuff but that takes a lot of time.... This is my daily and mechanically sound hence I am planning on driving it for a while but the interior is starting to look like I am stripping it down for 10 sec 1/4 mile...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Getting the handles isn't a problem for me. The most annoying part is the door panel pieces into which the handles bolt in. They are all broken...
At this point I'm thinking all or nothing point. I might do a mini investment and redo the whole interior properly.

If I do it I'll post it here or maybe do a thread "revitalizing the B5 interior" :)
I've used the isopropyl alcohol to wash off the soft plastic but didn't bother painting it.
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Vehicle door Family car

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tell me about it... But the frugal me (and the love for the B5) can't stop using a mechanically perfect operating car. The clear coat sometimes hurts more than the interior, quite unrepresentative. Cops love to tail me... I have a clean record and no ticket but its a police magnet. My buddy is an officer and laughs each time I tell him. I might bite the bullet and drop a signifcant amount to fix everything. (If i had a Ford it would be an easy decision. My college ford focus dropped a valve seat...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.