Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an easy to follow detail procedure that won't take me the whole damn day. :) I'm also looking for some product recommendations -- I've been using Meguiar's and Zymol (wax) for the price and ease of purchase.

Also, my BLACK car has horrendous water spots that won't come off. I've tried a clay bar and Meguiar's Scratch X and have just ordered some Meguiar's Clear Cost Body Scrub because I used to use it on my last car and was very impressed. Any other tips?

Thanks men!

Luke.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Paninaro said:
I'm looking for an easy to follow detail procedure that won't take me the whole damn day. :) I'm also looking for some product recommendations -- I've been using Meguiar's and Zymol (wax) for the price and ease of purchase.

Also, my BLACK car has horrendous water spots that won't come off. I've tried a clay bar and Meguiar's Scratch X and have just ordered some Meguiar's Clear Cost Body Scrub because I used to use it on my last car and was very impressed. Any other tips?

Thanks men!

Luke.
2 Steps after a good washing

S100 Polish/Cleaner (Harley dealerships)
S100 Carnuba Natural Wax (Harley dealerships)

We did this to the GF's black Jetta and it looked better than when it came off the showroom floor. She had water spots, bird poop stains, tree sap, and road tar and this did the trick. The key was REALLY using Polish/Cleaner.

Scott Schwartz
Roxy 2001.5 1.8T Variant
dzb5.com

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S100? I'll give it a whirl. Did you do it all by hand?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks scott!

Do they have a website? I can't locate it.

Luke.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Paninaro said:
thanks scott!

Do they have a website? I can't locate it.

Luke.

Harley Davidson. Any of their shops should have it in stock.

I do it all by hand. Machine buffing can lead to more damage than good, I think. And most of the time you can see the swirl marks left. Like those black 996's the rich guy gets detailed by a "pro" shop with a machine. I laugh when I'm driving next to them, they think there car is all that and a bag of chips while it has nasty machine swirls all over it bouncing swirley light back at me. :p

Besides, the hand buffing is good for your arms. Endurance training.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I have ugly spots like you are talking about and have tried clay bar and Meguire's scratch-x. No dice. I was just going to take it to a professional in the spring once the weather is better. Let me know if the Clear coat body scrub works, or if anything else works for you!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do.

·
Registered
311 Posts
just another plug for the S100 combo. It is one of the easiest two step combo's out there.

Use very small amounts of the polish, and work it in using back and forth motions (not the circular crap Mr. Miyagi taught). Buff off with a MF or cotten towel. Then amaze yourself with how smooth the paint is.

With the wax, follow the directions! Specifically the fact that you do not need to leave this wax on for more than a minute before buffing off. The longer you leave it on, the harder it is to remove. S100 actually looks better after a day or so.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
1. Einszett Paint Polish
2. Clay Bar
3. Einszett Glanz Wax

Thats about it. My Black Magic still dazzles the onlookers ;)

·
Registered
869 Posts
There really is no "easy" detailing kit, because once you start detailing, you start getting pulled into it... You see more and more blemishes, and buy more and more specific products to fix them. It's a never ending spiral, get out now!

Now, to fix your specific problems. The water spots have etched into your paint, so you need to remove small layers of your clear coat to bring the coat down to the level of the etching. Polish accomplishes this. It also works for light scratches and bird dropping etches. A good application of polish will do more for your car than almost any other step. Follow that up with a polymer wax like Klasse Sealant Glaze, because you said you want easy, and you'll be good for 3 to 6 months. A regular carnuba wax will not last that long, maybe 1 month with good weather. Make sure you use 100% cotton towels for all steps.

I could make many more recommendations to you, but that's really getting into nitpicking details. Start with that, see if you like the results, decide if you want to do more, then come back for more info.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Triumph is right with his proceedures. One thind to try first on the water spots is vinegar. See here. http://www.autopia-carcare.com/swmawasp.html. If that doesn't work and you don't want to get into too much money buy a Simoniz Cordless Random Orbital buffer and get Menzerna Intensive Polish and Menzerna Final Polish to buff the clear down. Then wax of choise. I used Glanz Wax for ease of application and the longer life/lower cost. Menzerna is nice because there is no fillers and what you see is what you get. In other words you don't have fillers filling the flaws then have the flaws come back a week or so later.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Triumph, I've never been able to get out the etchings in my paint with polish and scratch/swirl remover. I've made my arm sore and the rag hot. Might it be possible that you cannot take them out by hand? If so, what is the next step?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Antoddio said:
Triumph, I've never been able to get out the etchings in my paint with polish and scratch/swirl remover. I've made my arm sore and the rag hot. Might it be possible that you cannot take them out by hand? If so, what is the next step?
Really? What specific products are you using? I use Meguiar's #2 Polish and a 100% cotton towel, and I've removed some serious bird crap. It took a lot of elbow grease (no electric buffer here), but it worked. I do have a few other etchings that I haven't been able to remove, but they are harder to notice. If you are serious about getting them removed, the next step is to try more abbrasive products. 3M makes several products in increasing levels of abbrasiveness, and they're usually available at Pep Boys. I'll have to look up the list later, though...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where can I buy Einszett?

Luke.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also...what can I use on a freshly painted surface?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts