Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The name is John and I'm from Toms River NJ - Anyone around?
Bought this Passat in August of 2007 with 108,xxx miles on the clock, currently the third owner. The PO's had extensive records of its service history =)
It's a 1998 GLS AEB 5-spd. Came with full leather, cold weather package, stick, turbo'd engine and WTF steelies? That's what I thought originally when I snagged my baby hahaha. Absolutely a fan of the OEM+ look & want it to be faster for sure. I'd rather it handle amazingly and be quick than it be a rocket ship though... All the work done to this car has been done by myself and only myself since 108k ;)
Currently at 172,xxx miles, I love this car! :D

Exterior:
-Votex roof rack
w/ votex snowboard attachment & Thule old school 555 fairing
-Custom wooden roof rack platform
-Oem Sharkfin antennae
-VW front end cover
-Debadged trunk
-Depo OE replica projector headlights with Laminex
-Original amber corner lights and side repeaters
-Side view mirrors currently shaved and replaced with custom blank panels :)

Interior:
-Retrofitted switchblade key fobs <3
-3 spoke leather GTI steering wheel
-Euroswitch
-Rear fog installed WITH Instrument cluster indicator wired
-Wood trim installed - Burr Nut? can't remember actual name
-Leather interior
-B6 A4 5-spd shifter knob
-Reupholstered headliner - Pine green suede
-New South indigo matching boost gauge
-Vw trunk grocery bag hook
-A4 flipout 12v outlet in center console

Engine:
-Shaved & painted valve cover
-Smoothed, painted & polished intake manifold
-ICM delete
-Custom pcv / catch can setup
-Custom intake
-Custom Front mount intercooler
-Relocated Forge Splitter valve
-Early B5 engine covers (from green dash)
-Euro engine covers
-B5.5 Upper engine / battery cover
-New South intake manifold powergasket
-Diesel Geek metal Panzer skidplate

Suspension, Brakes & Wheels:
-ST coils from GB with rear perches still installed
-Front sway bar removed
-A6 2.7t front upper strut brace
-All front control arms replaced twice...
-New inner & outer tie rods, heavy duty style
-Redstuff pads front and rear
-A6 front brake upgrade w/ slotted rotors
-MKV Jetta 16" wheels "Biolines" with matching spare

What else? I can't remember at the moment lol
Oh and LOTS of preventative and regular maintenance :thumbup:

-I snapped these today and wanted to share. Tell me what you think!
Pictures taken on the bay side of Seaside Park.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
hey, he really does have a Passat. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks really good, simple and clean. I'm debating on coilovers right now and ST's are up there. Could you measure your ground to fender in the rear.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey, he really does have a Passat. ;)
You better believe it! lol had it for over 4 years now :D

That is just nice. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thank you :)

Looks really good, simple and clean. I'm debating on coilovers right now and ST's are up there. Could you measure your ground to fender in the rear.
GTF measurement is 25 1/4" in the REAR and 24 1/4" FRONT. It does upset me that is the lowest the rears will go in the rear with the perches in. My trunk never has any weight in it. Would it help settle the springs anymore if I leave some extra weight in the trunk for a while? The ST's have been on for 3 or 4 months now.. I'll probably just leave the perches in for the winter and take em out next spring.

Looks good dude, I know a few people from Toms River :thumbup:
Yeah it would be nice if there was ever a G2G around here then everyone could meet up!

Where was my invite to take pictures!? Looking clean man
We will do one soon! I had 2 hours in between classes and was driving around town and it was effin gorgeous out and I had a clean ride so I drove over to Seaside now that all the Bennies are gone for some quick pics :D You can see the bridge in the background, it's very very small. :p Dude I removed every wheel, cleaned them thoroughly and waxed them and in one week the fronts are FILTHY in brake dust... I need to get rid of those front pads for ones that dust less...

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Installed A6 upper strut brace and I gotta say my car LOVES taking turns. It is so nimble and responsive! I also don't have the front sway bar installed.. Hasn't been on the car for months. Anyone install this and have a clearance issue with the AC line? I tried bending it up and I put a piece of rubber hose around the bracket.. Love the fit though after modifying it :thumbup:

New HID's :D Upgraded from 6k to 4300k from the group buy. Seems like a quality kit.
Started wet sanding down the intake manifold. I wanna see that thing SHINE!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
January 10th 2011!

Car is dirty, but I finished my wooden roof rack platform that I started months ago and kept putting off due to school! woop :D Scored the sharkfin from a member here for $5 & A6 brake upgrade was done. The basket will come off tomorrow because the snowstorm coming in. Guess I'll let the platform hibernate till nice weather.. Gonna get the headliner done soon because I'm sick of my ghetto no headlinerness that's been going on for 9 months now..

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took me less than 5 minutes because the headliner is out lol :D

But if it were in all I would do is remove both C pillar trims, the rear O-shit handles and pull down the door trims then you can pull the headliner down enough to get your hands and a wrench in there :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haven't updated this in forever!

-Just did an oil change, finally cleaned the outside of my for the first time in 3 months. Probably the longest amount of time I've gone in between washes ever! Finally getting work done to the headliner, that will be back in after the Passat goes for surgery (rust on the roof getting repaired and roof repainted).

-I installed an A4 flip out 12v outlet in my center console. I use my ipod almost every time I drive and now this gets the wires out of the way of the shifter and cupholder even though it's rarely used. Plus it looks awesome. :D
-Got myself a wink mirror and bye bye passenger side view mirror.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts