Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I aspire to awesomeness
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally ordered these Angel Eyes from this German eBay reseller's listing, which describes them (in German) as being genuine FK Automotive, and then only after being assured they were genuine FK Angel Eyes which I thought are or were made in Germany.

Well after 6 weeks they finally turned up but they are NOT FK Angel Eyes. They are marked DEPO and from a few markings on the box made I first thought in China but on closer inspection, in Taiwan.

At a glance, I don't like what I see as among other things, they have plastic ~ I expected glass. Is this gap in the chrome and housing normal?

What do we think about DEPO headlights and in particular, their Angel Eyes and are FK Angel lights glass or any better?

·
wants you to raise up your car.
4,327 Posts
Well I can tell you, DEPO makes high quality headlights and are pretty much identical to OEM HIDs. I absolutely love my projector headlights I got from ebay made by DEPO, and I know everyone else who has the same setup as me loves them as well.

So I guess, it sucks that you didn't get FK headlights if that's what was advertised, but you lucked out and still have a good quality product, if you're willing to keep them and you still like how they look.

·
I aspire to awesomeness
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, unfortunately I am new to DIY maintenance and mod upgrades so I haven't seen many nor know what to look for.

But is there any way that DEPO is the same as FK, which I think is or maybe made in Germany.

Are FK Headlights glass or also plastic?

I also would have thought plastic for headlights sucks?

Are your DEPO lights plastic? How does plastic stand up?

There is also a weird gap inside the chrome housing

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just got my black ones today too; Yes the lenses are plastic. The gap-thing is normal; or rather, mine is the same way. I figured it has to do with venting them. The ad does say FK specifically in there, so you may be able to get ur moneys worth in that regard, if there is a difference. The seller did not give you the product you paid for, pure and simple. Problem is, you'll be waiting.. again.

ON OEM wiring, and bulbs (sans fog, since they're not H7) they're not very bright; but they look good. I'll work on the wiring-harness thingy later.. lol

Droid Photo; lights not on.

Also - reuse the stock turn-signal spring things.. the ones they give you suck.

At least ur ppl wrapped both. lol - Mine only wrapped one, and I have a piece of packing popcorn wedged in the corner of one of the lights..

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thanks, unfortunately I am new to DIY maintenance and mod upgrades so I haven't seen many nor know what to look for.

But is there any way that DEPO is the same as FK, which I think is or maybe made in Germany.
DEPO is not the same as FK, and you are correct that FKs are made in Germany. There is a pretty big price difference between them. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? That should tell you right away if you were paying for FKs or DEPOs.

Are FK Headlights glass or also plastic?

I have the FK ones, and it is also plastic.

I also would have thought plastic for headlights sucks?

Apparently they don't think so. I've never had any issues with mine in terms of fogging or anything.

There is also a weird gap inside the chrome housing

Gap is there on all headlights. OEM and Aftermarket. If it was flush, you could not adjust them.

·
I aspire to awesomeness
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DEPO is not the same as FK, and you are correct that FKs are made in Germany. There is a pretty big price difference between them. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? That should tell you right away if you were paying for FKs or DEPOs.
Sure no problem. About $225 plus shipping.

I am just not so taken by the quality. There's cardboard floating around in the blinker and the chrome looks like it's about to flake off in parts. The listing definitely says albeit in German that they should be FK lights so should I insist on FK of a refund? Can you still get genuine FK and if so, how much would you expect to pay?

Gap is there on all headlights. OEM and Aftermarket. If it was flush, you could not adjust them.
Makes sense, I just never noticed same on OEM stock headlights before.

·
Registered
431 Posts
i also have a set of depo headlight and i love them and so does alot of other people....never had any trouble with my, you have a great product in your hands... :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Sure no problem. About $225 plus shipping.

I am just not so taken by the quality. There's cardboard floating around in the blinker and the chrome looks like it's about to flake off in parts. The listing definitely says albeit in German that they should be FK lights so should I insist on FK of a refund? Can you still get genuine FK and if so, how much would you expect to pay?
FK's used to be around $400-450 if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if they FK still sells them to be honest. Just did a quick search and I couldn't find them anywhere. Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure they've discontinued them. A search of the official fk site turned 0 results. Try calling them. I got this number from their site:

International (English / French / Spanish speaking): Phone +49-(0) 71 91-32 75-1 10

·
I aspire to awesomeness
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
to all replies.

Juh, I feel like such an idiot now. :whistle: :banghead: Even my stock headlights have the gaps between the headlight housing and actual light harness ~ I just never saw noticed them not even when washing the car and I have never had to worry about adjust them.

I just got so wound up with the delay ~ that I think I was was bound to be disappointed with anything less than my preconceived mental picture of what I had been expecting after read reading a write ups on PW which included these images:

DHL kept saying I should have received the parcel in 11 days give or take a few but seller kept saying 4-5 weeks, which is well outside PayPal window of opportunity to file a non receipt claim. They finally arrived after 6 weeks.

But even despite assurances that many people are very happy with DEPOT lights I can't help but think the quality is less than what I had expected had it been FK. So I think I will try calling FK to see if what differences there may or may not be between DEPOT and FK

·
I aspire to awesomeness
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DEPOT Installation

ON OEM wiring, and bulbs (sans fog, since they're not H7) they're not very bright; but they look good. I'll work on the wiring-harness thingy later.. lol

Droid Photo; lights not on.

Also - reuse the stock turn-signal spring things.. the ones they give you suck.
Quality issues aside I wonder if I'll be able to install it properly. The instructions included are minimal, photocopies and are barely visible. But if not I'll fall back to a couple or write ups on PW.

So did you connect your DEPOT lights using the stock OEM harness? Did it work fine?

Did you also get the Xenon filled bulbs included with the headlights and have you got them working yet with the new wiring harness?

What happens when you upgrade to a HID conversion kit? Does the wiring harness which comes with the kit then in turn, partially or wholly replace the wiring harness which comes with the headlights?

And wiring aside, does anyone know how or if there is a writeup on PW on how to adjust the headlight levels and for RHD or LHD? I can't intuitively understand the little yellow sticker which refers to RHD and LHD adjustments.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quality issues aside I wonder if I'll be able to install it properly. The instructions included are minimal, photocopies and are barely visible. But if not I'll fall back to a couple or write ups on PW.

So did you connect your DEPOT lights using the stock OEM harness? Did it work fine?

Did you also get the Xenon filled bulbs included with the headlights and have you got them working yet with the new wiring harness?

What happens when you upgrade to a HID conversion kit? Does the wiring harness which comes with the kit then in turn, partially or wholly replace the wiring harness which comes with the headlights?

And wiring aside, does anyone know how or if there is a writeup on PW on how to adjust the headlight levels and for RHD or LHD? I can't intuitively understand the little yellow sticker which refers to RHD and LHD adjustments.
I used the stock wiring harness, and just kept the stock side-marker bulbs because the new ones don't fit the stock plug. No issues with fast-blinking, the only thing that doesn't work (with the exception of not having my H7 brights in yet - it's raining and I have to work outside) is the Halo's.

Basically, what I did was just unbolt the top center section of the bumper, because it flexes enough to get the light out (2 regular screws, 2 torx). You don't HAVE to remove the whole bumper. Once you do that, unhook and pull your blinkers out first; they slide straight forward. Then unscrew the 3 torx screws holding in the housing (2 top, 1 side). Once you get them out, you can pull the headlight forward and unplug the harness. Installation is the reverse. Be careful with the blinkers; it sucks trying to get them to clip back in the way they're supposed to. I still have to adjust my driver-side, you can see there's a little bit of a gap between the grille-section of the bumper and the headlight housing. I did end up having to use the smaller-section to link the stock harness to the headlight; be careful here, my red wire on my passenger side was loose, causing the light to go out sporadically; which I fixed. The larger harness is still sitting in the box in my trunk, until I feel like dealing with that mess; I'm a total noob when it comes to wiring.

The light-output isn't bad on them either, as I have found out since. Granted, it's raining right now, so I can't exaclty get photos. I still haven't aligned them correctly (once installed, there's a hole in the top of the headlight housing, you can see a screw down a bit in the hole; you can adjust them there) with the screwdriver either, so they're a little high, but at the right orientation. I don't have HID, so I couldn't tell you on that.
Stock wiring harness works just fine (with the little extension pieces); you just need to get the H7 bulbs for the brights, as the stock ones were H4 (iirc). My lights didn't come with bulbs; just the signals did, which i didn't use anyways. The blinkers, sidemarkers, everything but the halo's work as they should.

As far as I'm concerned, there are no quality issues with what I bought. I just need to get that piece of popcorn out of the lense. LOL

·
I aspire to awesomeness
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks.

Forgive me if a little slow in the uptake.

So if the stock wiring harness works fine why is one included with the headlights? Is especially for the fake Xenon bulbs?

From all that I have read I had heard that upgrade to a HID conversion kit is the way to go ~ I just didn't want to bother buying one until the headlights arrived and I could be sure about everything ~ they come I think, with another harness so does it then in turn replace in full the stock harness or harness which came with the DEPOT lights or exist in parallel?

Also any idea on the adjustment for RHD and LHD ~ we RHD down under.

*** Edit, thanks again, I think you edited your post with much or some of the information I ask about here.

I forget what halogen bulbs my stock lights come with.

The new headlights come with 2 pairs of Xenon (gas filled) H7 bulbs so if I replace the halogen bulbs with these I wonder if they will work with the stock wiring harness, or whether they need the wiring harness which came with the DEPOT lights.

I'll try the Xenon bulbs before buying a HID conversion kit but from what I read it's worth the upgrade.

As for the rest, levels and adjustment for RHD I hope someone will know or I'll figure it out when the time comes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The aiming is probably just the opposite of the LHD areas; I would guess that your right headlight should be aligned slightly lower than your left, because that's the side you pass traffic on, and you don't want to go blinding them. That's about all I know.

The H7's are what the Depos are designed to use, not the H4 and H7 combination that the stock in-light wiring harness uses. The Depo lights use H7's and their in-light wiring harness adjusts for that too, it'll work just fine. H7 is H7, it's the connector, not the bulb that makes it work or not.

I have no clue about HID, so I really couln't tell you anything on the subject. I would love to do this upgrade myself, but I think I would need someones help with it, myself. Because, as I said, I suck at wiring, which is the entire reason I bypassed the Depo harness.. lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
Okay; here's a few shots I just took with my Droid.. remember, it's raining, and the hotspot is probably because I'm right behind that lense on the driver-side, and it's a reflective surface (garage door)

Headlight housing with the lights on.

These spots are above the headlight housing when you're at a distance. I'm looking uphill at the driveway so the headlights are right at the line @ the bottom of the garage. Close up, they're not even visible; i'm not sure what this is caused by. Probably just that I need to adjust the aiming of the projector.

·
Mr. Bieber 1st place WaterFest 17
4,625 Posts
DEPO AND FK ARE THE EXACT SAME!!!!

This discussion is so annoying. Dont talk unless you know what your talking about.

READ!
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2661748&postcount=21

or for those who wont click it

For starters, Call me out on ebay shit, where did you get your front mount? OH thats right.. So hush. And Ive never bought any ebay parts, was just always curious on the quality. I have more "Known" aftermarket parts on my car then you do... lol.. :whistle:

as for headlights, You will not notice a different between either of the DEPO or FK, regardless they are quality. just because something is sold on ebay does not qualify it as a faulty product ;)

And they are the EXACT same(aside from the brand on the front) when it plays out to the headlights in question.
There not chinese, they are actually made in Germany as well, they are sourced through FK... So before you make assumptions, research ;)
As for MY depo's, I have FK's so suck it:lol:
DEPO

FK

NOTE The Serials are EXACTLY the same, one just says FK other says DEPO. BOOYA!

So common man...

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295187

:heart:

HUGE discussion here

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321067

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you hadn't noticed, we stopped talking about that a while ago, and now were talking about the wiring and intricacies of installation.

·
Mr. Bieber 1st place WaterFest 17
4,625 Posts
If you hadn't noticed, we stopped talking about that a while ago, and now were talking about the wiring and intricacies of installation.
Just informing everyone that regardless you are getting QUALITY.

And its plug and play. lol..

·
WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
9,018 Posts
You'll never get rid of those "hot spots," because the light is projected in a single direction, so it disperses very slightly as you walk away from the car (makes a beam cone, per say). No big deal, just something you gotta deal with.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just informing everyone that regardless you are getting QUALITY.

And its plug and play. lol..

no, my neons headlights were plug and play.. these are slightly more complicated. They were 3 bolts on, 3 bolts off, then plug in the light. Single housing is easy, nothing overcomplicated to foncuse myself with.. like wiring. :hmmm:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts