Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2003 VW Passat 1.8t, I have notice a def displaying on the odometer when the cars is cold like starting it in the morning, can someone please help me on this issue.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I stumbled on this in the Bentley manual today:

If OBD recognizes instrument cluster malfunctions related to the:
  • odometer
  • distance impulse number (K number)
  • speedometer calibration
the trip odometer will change to show "dEF."

In this case, replace speedometer, see Instrument Cluster, removing and installing."

They also say to check for DTCs first, but "dEF" clearly doesn't mean it's your lucky day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stumbled on this in the Bentley manual today:

If OBD recognizes instrument cluster malfunctions related to the:
  • odometer
  • distance impulse number (K number)
  • speedometer calibration
the trip odometer will change to show "dEF."

In this case, replace speedometer, see Instrument Cluster, removing and installing."

They also say to check for DTCs first, but "dEF" clearly doesn't mean it's your lucky day.
sorry im a little lost.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
eh, sorry, I was speaking "engineer"... :eek:h:

The Bentley manual is the 2 inch thick shop service manual for the Passat, a veritable wealth of information.

It says the trip odometer will display "dEF" if any of that short list of malfunctions occurs. Is that what you're seeing?

It then says to replace the speedometer to fix the problem $$ (the speedometer is part of the instrument cluster, not a separate component). If that's really your issue, there's a place that repairs instrument clusters--search the forums to find it.

But before you replace the instrument cluster, get the car scanned for codes (DTC = diagnostic trouble code). There might be something else causing the issue. Something that comes to mind is the vehicle speed sensor (G22) on the transmission housing--perhaps if it were flaky it might cause the dEF display, but it would also cause your speedometer to misbehave.

Hope that's clearer...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts