Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Deep Vibration and rattling?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  judedude 
#1 ·
So today I noticed a deep vibration and a rather violent rattling from my car at 70mph. Its fine at 60 and 80 mph, but from about 68-75mph there is defintely something going wrong. At first I thought it was actually a flat tire, but when i checked all tires were fine. The noise is very deep and resounding like a good bass thump. Any idea any help is greatly appreciated.

Edison

#3 ·
is it a vibration like the entire car is shaking? or a vibration like music set extremely too loud with bass cranked all the way up?

if its shaking the whole car.. could be a belt in the tire screwed up.. if its a vibration/loud.. perhaps you have something metal under the car hitting your exhaust.. that can make some cool noises, or does it only happen at 70?

#5 ·
Been there... :(

Okay- let's try to pinpoint the problem..

1. Is the shaking in your seat or the floorboards?
2. Does it come and go, or is it constant?
3. What size wheels are you running?
4. If you have new wheels, do they requre hub centric rings, and do you have them installed?
5. Do you have aftermarket suspension? What type? Is it installed correctly?

I went through the exact same issue as you, about three weeks ago. After numerous attemps to balance my new wheels, adding hub centric rings, and dyno runs, I determined that my wheels actually had a warp in them. Since, I have taken off my 18's and replaced them with the stock set up. Now- no problems.

Here is what you need to do: 1. Get your wheels "ROAD FORCE BALANCED". This will determine whether or not your wheels are true to begin with- you could have dented, bent or warped wheels. 2. Run your car on a dyno machine at your closest VW or Audi tuner.

Make sure that your car is also aligned correctly- get an alignment on a "HUNTER RACK". The hunter rack is designed for VW and Audi, and has settings specifically for Passats. You should be able to find a hunter rack at any VW dealership, or by calling various shops.

If it turns out not to be a wheel issue, it is a suspension issue. This means that you could have problems with either your control arms, or tie rods. This is not only dangerous, but needs addressing soon. Driving with a car that has suspension problems can be really bad for the drivetrain, down the road.

Not trying to scare you, but you should just have a good, reliable mechanic completely check the car over. It could simply be your wheel nuts- make sure they are all tightend and flush mounted.

I know how frustrating this is, trust me. I finally figured out my issue for my car, and since then, the car has never run better. I have KW Variant 1 coilovers, and my fear was that they were installed incorrectly- but I found out that my wheels were the issue. Mine did the exact same thing- at the same speeds as yours.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Best,
psstwgn

#6 ·
1. Is the shaking in your seat or the floorboards?
2. Does it come and go, or is it constant?
3. What size wheels are you running?
4. If you have new wheels, do they requre hub centric rings, and do you have them installed?
5. Do you have aftermarket suspension? What type? Is it installed correctly
Shaking seems to be coming from the front passenger side.
im actually running my stock 15 inch steelies right now.
I dont have new wheels but i do have 15mm hubcentric spacers in the back and 10mm hubcentric spacers in teh front.
Im running koni adjustable shocks with H&R sport springs, installed correctly under the supervision of HermanH. We did hafta use a deforming nut on the shock however, but havent had any real problems til now.

Thx for the help i will definitley jump on that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.