Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright, I am about ready to put a turbo on my 02 Tip Variant (as opposed to that hair dryer that is on there now). I am debating on which Garrett GT turbo to go with - the 28R or 28RS.

Looking at the numbers, the RS will certainly flow more air, but does come on a little later (500RPMs). The R is about $775 and the RS is about $1250. The ancillaries will cost about the same.

So the question is....do I risk the tranny and just go whole hog for the RS :lol: , or save a little money and play it safe with the R :) ?

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
If PES is pushing 295 hp out of the V6 supercharged in a TIP, you should be able to use GIAC's High HP TIP chip, and be OK... do the RS is you can find software for it.

I assume you'll be using GIAC software for the ECU.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably...although there are some interesting things going on in the software for these cars these days. Revo will be releasing their big turbo software soon, and both APR (V-Tune) and GIAC (Mobile Tuner) are enabling users to control their software.

I figure by the time I get everything together and installed, someone will have software that I want to use, or I will just tune the best I can without it. (diodes, MBC, FPR, injectors, etc).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i'd save the 500 bucks. Once you start getting near 280-300 HP in a front wheel drive Passat it gets crazy. 1st gear is useless at 1/2 throttle with wheel slipage. Plus you get quicker spool time around town.

·
Registered
618 Posts
For an all wheel drive golf I'd say go for the 28rs, but i have the 28r on my passat and it's not even running high boost ....eyt!! and first is useless. Our cars have trouble getting it to the ground. You might as well figure on a quafe diff in yuo go with the 28rs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts