Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've talked to andy chen about this and I figured I'd now post this up. I am pondering going to the University of Phoenix online. They would allow me to get my degree in a fashion that I would otherwise not be able to do which sounds like this is an easy decision. However within the past year I have paid off all debt in my life with the exception of cars and house and I am scared about accruing a fair amount of college loan debt. I understand that with a degree I can get a good job however another issue with me is that my current job pays very well for someone with little college experience. For that reason I'm not sure that I will get a better paying job but I probably will get a better job that I am more happy with. Anyone care to give me advice...I'm really having a hard time figuring it all out i suppose I just don't know what to do

Edit i decided to add a little background since it doesnt say alot about me
I'm 23 going on 24, married, I own a house, 2 cars and a dog :) I was an EMT for 6 years before I became burnt out and basically took a well paying job I am unhappy with to pay the bills so to speak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My two cents on the subject:

You have done pretty well at the age of 23. When I was that age, I was still struggling with my first job after college! However, my suggestion is to seriously consider getting that college degree. My younger brother was in that same situation: he had a part-time job, which turned full-time, and paid him too much money at 21, so he dropped out of school. It's hurting him now.

For you, especially that you are unhappy with just paying the bills, getting that college degree will help you a long way in your professional career. It will be more obvious later on, may be 5 or 10 years from now.

Good luck!

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Joe, you have a lot more options than just Phoenix. The Philly area has a lot of schools that cater to your situation. One thing to consider is spending some time at the local community college where you can pick up the basic english and math classes for cheap, and then hit up Eastern or one of the "finish it fast" schools which abound over there.

The community colleges are usually cheap enough per credit that you can pay as you go. This will keep the debt down (hopefully none) for the first two years worth of classes.

If it makes you feel any better, I was 26 when I finally finished my BS. I did not have a well-paying job at the time, but the crappy job I had paid for college classes, so I came out of my school with $5K in student loans and a $14K mortgage.

If your current job has a tuition assistance plan, it is the way to go. You pay up front and get the money back, usually in time for the next term of school. Most companies will pay for at least one course per term and sometimes more. My job will pay up to $5K per year. That's a lot of community college!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I understand that it may seem drastic to leave something that's stable and secure just to potentially accrue more debt, but I think going for the degree is a good idea, too. My one reservation would be about the school. While Phoenix Online can give you a degree, it might not be as valuable as one from a more established university, with a physical location. I'm certainly not suggesting that you give up your situation now to go back to college full-time, but you might want to look into other online programs from other universities. Plenty of them are developing entire online programs that require little or no time on campus, but you'll still have the weight of the school's reputation behind you when you finish.

I don't know what field you're thinking about studying or changing to, though. Maybe Phoenix Online would be good for what you want to do. But working for a university, I hear and participate in a lot of discussion about online learning, and Phoenix Online doesn't carry much of a reputation with the people I work with. It may be unfortunate, but part of a college degree's significance comes from the name of the school. I'm just saying there are other options.

And that's my $.02

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well I for one go to University Of Phoenix, I take the Flex course, Two campus classes(the first Sat that the class starts and the last sat that the class ends) and the rest are online. It is exspensive but considering I don't have time to sit in class 2-3 days a week,or even 1 for that matter, it works for me. If I need help they are right there to assist me.And a lot of the businesses around here send their employees there as well. By all means, if there is a better/cheaper way for you then thats great but don't miss out on that degree! :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I think you should go for the degree regardless of how you do it, considering your age it would be worth it, if you were 30-40, it may not be worth it, I knew a guy who was an EMT, and all the doctors he came into contact convinced him to go to medical school, he was about 40 when he decided to go, and now he is pushing 50 has two kids in college, and has a major amount of debt, and will be working to pay off his debt basically the rest of his career, I think he made the wrong choice, so if you are going to go back to school for anything, now is time, IMHO, good luck :beer:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand the view that a local college may be better but as I hinted in the first post I really don't have that luxury...my work schedule does not allow me to do anything on a regular basis because I do not have the same days off every week. By doing it online I can do the work when I have off. My work covers only about a thousand dollars in tuition assistance however I suppose its not so much the work or the university that bother me its the thought that even with the degree I probably won't surpass my current salary and I might feel as though it was a waste....I suppose I'm very confused :)

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Joe,

Being a student now as well, just turned 20, and all of my debt paid off I am attending the local community college here in Charleston. With my experience, and with the guidence I got in high school, I was always told to get a degree, no matter what. Its something that you have to fal back on, if something happens at your current job, ie - injury. Its always something to think about and now is the time to do it if you want that peice of sheepskin.

HTH,
Steve

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Joe:

Just to add to the confusion... ;)

Regardless of what program you decide to do, if you do decide to enter a program, they'll all teach you one important thing: how to think critically. College will force you out of your comfort zone intellectually (or, at least, it should) and make you think "outside the box." You may already do that now, but college will provide a structured environment to do so.

Also, I can't remember exactly what you do -- but there are few professions where having a college degree doesn't provide for better opportunities. You may very well be in one of those professions where it really doesn't matter, but a college degree will always help. And I'll be honest: if I have two candidates for one position, and they're exactly alike in terms of experience, motivation, etc. EXCEPT for the level of education, I'll take the one with the degree over the one without.

Feel free to IM me if you want to chat more.

Andy

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
not to hijack the thread..but what do you guys think about getting a Masters? I already finished and got my B.S. when i was 22. So right now I'm at that ripe old age of 25 and I have a nice paying job and all, but would getting a masters be that much more beneficial?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Ed: depends on what you want to do. There are some jobs that won't hire with a master's, and there are others where it doesn't really matter.

I have two master's -- the first was because I wanted to get into healthcare administration, and most jobs require a master's degree. The second was because I bypassed middle management and became a boss, and realized I needed more finance and operations management experience. Having said that, I probably could have done my initial job without a master's degree and simply worked my way up the ladder, learning along the way.

If you plan on changing careers, a master's in your new field is probably a must.

Andy

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Andy: :bow: Good advice! I work in a similar field as you, I think. I work at a cancer research institute and I work with getting extramural funds for the institute since we're non-profit. My B.S. was in operations management/IT by the way.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
schmove said:
I work at a cancer research institute and I work with getting extramural funds for the institute since we're non-profit.
Does that mean you're in the Development department doing fundraising?

And what are your short- and long-term career goals?

Andy

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Chris - great point. I suppose that was where I was going.

Joe, even a general science degree (you take 4 courses in everything, specialize in nothing) is a good thing. A BS gets you a whole lot of background that it is hard to pick up in the field. Andy is right - college gives you a strange experience - it is a long term project that you work to finish. It's like a "real" project car - you have to learn every system from scratch and pull the entire thing together at the end. College usually takes less time. :p

Ed - grab an executive MBA. You will be good to go. My MS is in a hardcore field in what I do. I could use a PhD, but there is only one program in the US and I am overqualified for it. So I am just publishing my way to the top. ;)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I highly recommend an online degree program. You have a life, you just need a degree to open a few more doors. I know nothing about UPhoenix, but I am taking a Masters in Engineering Management through Drexel in Philadelphia. They are really gearing up for distance education. They are investing in online learning and I think it will pay off for them. They have some pretty good framework so far. My degree is completely online now.

If you go that route, don't settle for any degree. Get one that you want. You will need the extra motivation to teach yourself some things when you are online. As long as you want to learn, online is great. It sucks for the students that want to learn by osmosis. There is not much to just soak up in the online format. Another thing to consider with online programs is accreditation. Make sure the degree is accredited by ABET or another recognized agency.

Go for it - you won't regret getting it. Just make sure you're committed to doing it first.

Carl III

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Talk to a college counselor regarding the field of study you want to pursue. At least for a Bachelors in Business Administration, you'll need about 80 units of the General Ed. stuff like English, Algebra, Humanities, Foreign Language, etc.

Do you have most of your General Education classes out of the way? If not, I recommend you go to a community college (night classes/weekend classes) for now. Once you have all the required classes in the field you want, then go to get your Bachelors Degree.

It is not too late but you need a Bachelors Degree (BS preferred not bull shit!) in order to get ahead in life. MS/MBA could be your next goal but sometimes could be detrimental to your employment (over qualified).

Also, if you want to be in the management team, a College degree is almost always a must. I've seen people passed up for promotion many times because they don't have a degree. I've also seen VP's that make $200K/year that has cracker jack degree. :weirdo:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
13 Participants
powerslide23
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing